my new avatar

Frank Fusco

I put up this new avatar because the man pictured was a very important part of my life for many years.
I grew up calling him "Grandpa". Only later in life was I told he was not my biological grandfather. My grandmother had divorced and remarried. In those days divorce was almost unheard of and, certainly, never discussed.
His name was Frank Carr and I was named after him.
When we were alone he would always say to me, "Ya know, us Frank's, there aren't many of us. We need to stick together."
I don't know the year of his birth but he died in 1963 while I was overseas with the Air Force. The family didn't notify me until after I returned home.
Until recently I didn't have many pictures of him. But, I discovered a stash of some very old family photos in my mother's belonging after she died. This was in it. I estimate he was in his 20's at the time it was taken. It I am right that would be right about 1900.
It is a small pic and in terrible condition. It will take many hours with PhotoShop to spif it up. I'll do it one day. I am very proud to have this memento of him. Blood or not, he was, and always will be, my Grandpa.