Having a Pity Party

Hi all:

I've been quiet for a day or two, and several have noticed it, which is nice I guess.....:D

Went to the eye doctor last week and he says I'm already developing cataracts....at age 48. :( Not very happy about that, but apparently it explains why my vision is deteriorating in one eye. For the moment it's being corrected by glasses, but one day soon, he won't be able to correct it with glasses, and then I'll have to have it operated on.........it's a minor operation, but I'm feeling sorry for myself.......

Getting old is no fun but it beats the other alternatives.........so that's why I've been quiet out here.........
:rolleyes:

well Cynthia, If there anything I fear is loosing my eye sight. On my last trip to the optomitrist they optrichian thought I might have the begiining of glycoma. A trip to the optimolygist confirmed th ehigh pressure but on closer exam he said it was not glacoma so for now I just go back every year for a checkup.

they say that the surgery makes your visdon 20/20 again with a new lense transplated in there..if its bad enough now to need surgery get it set up ..it takes awhile to get in up there i here from other canuks

Thank the good Lord they can fix the cataracts. I know lots of people that have had the surgery and they all say it was well worth it. Made a big difference in their quality of life.

Don, I've had the high pressure problem for year and to keep in under control is just a matter of a drop of medicine in each eye every night before I go to sleep. I've had to do it for years, but it has worked well and no deterioration of the optic nerve at all. The only draw back is the tiny bottle of medicine is $70+ each bottle, but still very much worth it.

Cynthia, this is not to be glib, but you will end up with 20/20+. My dad and everyone else I know of ended up with perfect vision (probably will need reading glasses though).

You'll be good...just let us know how perfect vision is (sans glasses/contacts). Good Luck :thumb::thumb:

Macular degeneration runs in my family. I'm hoping it doesn't get to me. But my eyes are definitely getting to the point where I can't read with my glasses on and I can't see with them off....

Oh well, Visiting my eye guy on Friday, so maybe I'll get those sweet transition free trifocals I've been dying for....

I have a good friend who had them coke bottle glasses. .......after eye surgery he was amazed by how well he could see....

I on the other hand used to have 15/15 vision. I used to be called "eagle eye" and could spot things at long distance..........then the 40's hit and I can't read the paper without glasses.........kind of sucks given the privilege I enjoyed for many years. :D

thanks for the kind words....yeah I know it's a simple operation, and I know lots of people who had it no problem including my mom, but she's 77. That's what I'm so bummed about....it's early to have it.......but I was prematurely grey too.....I see fine (I think) with glasses...it doesn't need to be operated on yet. I have the "cortical" kind which start with fogginess around the edges not in the center, then it moves to the center like the spokes of a wheel. The biggest problem is it's making me more and more nearsighted, especially in one eye. and glasses are so expensive....I need a new prescription like every year. Maybe I should get one contact....a blue one.....:rofl: :rofl: or a striped one.....here are some (scroll down) :rofl:

My dad actually had the surgery just this week in one eye. He's seeing nearly 20/20, but doc said he'd probably need some reading glasses, but won't have to wear them for driving and such. He's looking forward to having the other eye done now.

Edit: Spoke to him tonight, he's scheduled to do the second eye this coming Tuesday. Only thing he's upset about is that he's got to go get his drivers license updated to state that he does not need glasses now. :)

Last edited:
my dad had it done too a couple of years ago. he only has the reading glasses and will continue to use them. he said it didn't seem right, since he had been wearing glasses since he was 6. i think he was 72 when he got them both done.

thanks for the kind words....yeah I know it's a simple operation, and I know lots of people who had it no problem including my mom, but she's 77. That's what I'm so bummed about....it's early to have it.......but I was prematurely grey too.....I see fine (I think) with glasses...it doesn't need to be operated on yet. I have the "cortical" kind which start with fogginess around the edges not in the center, then it moves to the center like the spokes of a wheel. The biggest problem is it's making me more and more nearsighted, especially in one eye. and glasses are so expensive....I need a new prescription like every year. Maybe I should get one contact....a blue one.....:rofl: :rofl: or a striped one.....here are some (scroll down) :rofl:

In the spirit of woodworking how about birds eye maple :D

Math teacher in my school had his eyes done a couple of years ago. He had worn glasses since elementary school. Says he couldn't make the switch, wears bifocals now, reading glasses in the bottom, clear glass in top, mentally hated not wearing glasses. :dunno:

Thats because everybody knows, smart people wear glasses. I should probably go out and get a pair or two, just for show:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Steve, I'm not sure you'd fool anybody with your crafty plan. :p

I can relate to Jon's buddy's feelings about wearing glasses. I've worn glasses most of my life, and now I don't like the way I look without them. I don't like the way I look with them either, but they do hide the ugly a little bit. :rolleyes: :D

Steve, I'm not sure you'd fool anybody with your crafty plan. :p

I can relate to Jon's buddy's feelings about wearing glasses. I've worn glasses most of my life, and now I don't like the way I look without them. I don't like the way I look with them either, but they do hide the ugly a little bit. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, Vaughn, I've only been wearing glasses for 3 years, but I have to say I prefer looking *smart* and ugly rather than just plain ugly. :D :thumb: