Having a Pity Party

Hi Cynthia, well dont feel alone on the glasses thing and that getting older sucks. I feel the same way. I only have to wear reading glasses but it bugs the heck out of me and i keep forgetting to carry them with me.

For me the most frustrating thing is trying to remember certain things. Those gray hair moments get real frustrating. Yet my Dad at 93 can remember everything instantly. Guess i got my moms genes.:rofl:

...Went to the eye doctor last week and he says I'm already developing cataracts....at age 48....

Hey KID! Yeah, 48 is still a kid in my almost 66 year old book. :D

Your eyesight deterioration sounds a lot like my wife's. For a couple years, she was getting a new eye Rx about every 4~6 months (at age 60, btw), till finally the Doc said "I can't do any more for you." She had cataract removal/lens replacement in both eyes - a far simpler (and painless!) procedure that she or I had ever imagined - and her vision was (almost magically) returned to 20/20. She does need reading glasses, but that's it.

For the first time in her life, she was able to pass a driver's license eye test, and get the glasses restriction removed.

Anyway, I'm just saying that it's not as bad a thing as you're anticipating. You may very well come out of this better than ever! Think Positively!!!

Hi all:

I've been quiet for a day or two, and several have noticed it, which is nice I guess.....:D

Went to the eye doctor last week and he says I'm already developing cataracts....at age 48. :( Not very happy about that, but apparently it explains why my vision is deteriorating in one eye. For the moment it's being corrected by glasses, but one day soon, he won't be able to correct it with glasses, and then I'll have to have it operated on.........it's a minor operation, but I'm feeling sorry for myself.......

Getting old is no fun but it beats the other alternatives.........so that's why I've been quiet out here.........
:rolleyes:

Cynthia,
I feel for you... not sure I can reach that far, but feeling for you.... we just got back from the eye doctor today for my wife... she has a wrinkled retina that has to be peeled and put back, then after she heals from that, she'll need cataract surgery on both eyes... she says everything has a gray haze over it... she also has a swelling/pressure in the left eye, but the Dr. didn't really think that was a major problem. Dianne is 67, so I guess it's time for some things to start wearing out... plus she's diabetic, so that puts pressure on the eye sight too.... That's her favorite expression.... "Getting old ain't for sissies". Good luck!:wave:

My 90 year old Dad has been legally blind for almost 30 years. He is thankful that it is his eyes that have failed instead of his mind. One of his older sisters suffered from Alzheimer's for many years. That being said, my 84 year old step mother has had cataract surgery on both eyes in the last 6 weeks. She's doing fine.

Cynthia,
I feel for you... not sure I can reach that far, but feeling for you.... we just got back from the eye doctor today for my wife... she has a wrinkled retina that has to be peeled and put back, then after she heals from that, she'll need cataract surgery on both eyes... she says everything has a gray haze over it... she also has a swelling/pressure in the left eye, but the Dr. didn't really think that was a major problem. Dianne is 67, so I guess it's time for some things to start wearing out... plus she's diabetic, so that puts pressure on the eye sight too.... That's her favorite expression.... "Getting old ain't for sissies". Good luck!:wave:

Chuck, I feel for you too or your wife. I actually used to work as a physician's assistant for an eye doctor when I was young so I know something about these things. And there's a history of retina problems in my family, so I'm familiar with that stuff too. In fact, that's why I go regularly--to watch out for retina things--no probs so far. Tell your wife, I send her good vibes. Early cataracts are not uncommon among diabetics....but I'm not diabetic....not yet anyway.... :D :thumb:

Chuck, I feel for you too or your wife. I actually used to work as a physician's assistant for an eye doctor when I was young so I know something about these things. And there's a history of retina problems in my family, so I'm familiar with that stuff too. In fact, that's why I go regularly--to watch out for retina things--no probs so far. Tell your wife, I send her good vibes. Early cataracts are not uncommon among diabetics....but I'm not diabetic....not yet anyway.... :D :thumb:

so your tellun us yu dont like chocolate:eek::eek:

Cynthia, you are right. Getting old is no fun. I am in my early forties and I just got my reading glasses. I hate wearing them.

My dad had the cataract surgery last year. According to him, it was painless.