now this is a chisel set

I'm not much of a neander tool collector, but that looks sweet! :thumb: :thumb:

Unfortunately, I already spent my 750$ on something else....

If it was a Miller Falls Langdon Miter Box, it would have been gone! Maybe he can get Christopher Schwarz to post on his blog again, how he loves the old stanley 750's.

Question from a Neanderphyte: What is it that makes Stanley 750s so desirable?

I have handled both the 750's and the Lie Nielsen chisels that are patterned after them and found the size and balance are really great. Much better than my Two Cherries chisels. I believe that many also like the fact that the chisels are of the socket type.

Only downside I have heard about the 750's concerns the steel being a little soft, but that is only from what I read and I do not have any actual experience.

I have on my "someday" list, a set of the Lie Nielson version.

Vaughn, I have a 1" 750, and it is a nice chisel. Not earth shattering, not the be all and end all, but nice. After all, a chisel is only as good as the edge put on it, and how long that edge lasts. I think LN modeling theirs after the 750 brought out more desire for the 750, but they can be found in the wild for a few bucks and on eBay for $15-25. I think what makes this set so pricey is its completeness uniformity, and condition. Anyway, what we see is the asking price, not the selling price.

FWIW, I'd prefer to use a set of LNs than a set of 750s. Apart from this little discussion is the whole "I love Japanese chisels" school of thought, of which like Sgt Schultz says, I know nothing.