Order in the court . . .

Jim Mattheiss

Hello All:

I'm a relatively new turner. One day my daughter walks by my lathe and say in a passing manner, you should make a gavel. I say yes, that would be interesting - bit I never get around to it.

One day I'm driving with LOML and she says - are you making the gavel for our daughter yet? I say she's mentioned it but it didn't seem that important.

Then the back story comes out. Her class is doing a Model United Nations in World History and apparently they do not have a gavel. That changes everything.

I went out to the garage and found a piece of 2-1/2" stock I picked up from Allen Levine this spring and turned the head. It's pretty rough but I had fun doing it. It was the first time I used my chuck on a project so it was interesting.

I then turned the handle and attached it. I buggerred up the recess for the handle as I was doing it by hand - I was in a hurry and couldn't/wouldn't do it another way.

I think the handle is too short but AOME (the apple of my eye - my daughter) thinks it's fine.

attachment.php

The finish is really too rough but it's going to school tomorrow!

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0124 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0124 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
"All rise" cuz that's not bad even for an experienced kinda turner:thumb:. I here by sentence you to life...in the Vortex:rofl::rofl:

No WAY, Candy Man. I can see him spiraling down deeper into the vortex AND for the FIRST gavel outstanding work - Nicely balanced face to face and, if necessary, the handle can be lenthened. Just put another piece on the lathe and have at it!

Bruce

You know I'm reminded of a story....when I was a kid I had (and still have) a friend who was interested in sewing (she later became an amazing professional seamstress). Anyway when she was 8 she made her dad a tie, the worst looking garish cockeyed tie you ever saw. And her dad was a prominent professional with a high-profile job. Once a year on his birthday he wore that tie to work with his 3 piece suit, and he was proud to do it. And she always remembered what her dad did for her....and I remember it too. That gavel is priceless. :thumb:

so wheres some flat stuff Jim? us flatworkers gotta stick together and stay away from the light(on the lathe).

Allen:

One aspect of the vortex that I like is that you can crank out a project (If you leave it roughly finished like the gavel) in 2 evenings during the week.

I cannot crank out flatwork anywhere near as quick as that. I have a serious case of "over-think-itus" when I do flatwork.

My garage is a mess but for some reason the lathe is clear of debris surrounding it - there's that vortex again.

Cheers

Jim