12/07/1941

We were there two years ago on the Hawaiian vacation our son treated us to. I took my American Legion campaign cap and wore while in the Memorial and as I saluted the wall with names of those lost. There was a table of about six survivors meeting the public. I wanted to shake their hands but just got too emotional and didn't do it. I didn't want to break down and look foolish in front of my family. Visiting the Memorial can be both an inspirational gut wrenching experience.

I was in Hawaii with the first wife, but couldn't go on the memorial... the babies were too small and not allowed... daughter was 10 and the son was only 21 months... sorry I didn't get to visit.

Just a bit late here, but, I remember the date, even though I was only a few months old when that all happened. My family members served in the Navy, Army and Air Corps during WW2. All survived, Thank God.

I too had tears in my eyes when I first visited the Memorial some 23 years ago. It is an emotion stirring place. I also was one of probably many who had just a little disdain for the Japanese tourists who were there visiting at that same time. I couldn't understand their tears, and the throwing of flower leis over the battleship, until I realized that these were not the ones who had done this deed, taking so many lives, it was their ancestors, who are long gone. These were people, who like myself, were sorry for the great loss of life there. It made a difference when that came into my mind. It had made a difference in how I felt when I visitied the Memorial again later.

The new USS Arizona Memorial visitor center was dedicated yesterday and I hope to see it soon. I would also like to visit the USS Missouri some day. That has been my favorite ship most all my life.

Thanks for remembering. "We shall never forget."

Aloha.

not to draw away from the memorial for pearl harbor, but i was reading the other day a excerpt from the writings of general lee and sherman just proir to the surrender and there was great losses there amongst out own ancestors as well and the media seems to not remember them as much..