Drawer Fronts

I'll assume inset drawers(?). If there are no pulls I use 1/16" strips to provide an even space all around the drawer; double stick tape to hold it still till I drive 2 screws in from behind. If I am using screw on pulls I drill the holes a little large, use the pull's screw(s) to hold the front in the general position and cinch up a screw (or two) once I have it where I want it; then I drive 2 screws in from behind.

Overlay style

I clamp spacers to the face frame to align the drawer front. Then, using double stick tape attched to the front of the box, I reach through another opening and pull the drawer out to stick it to the front. I build mainly kitchen cabinets and other style cabinets with multiple openings and this has always worked well for me.

For example, with a kitchen cabinet with a drawer above a door I'll mount the door first and then after satisfied with the fit I clamp a spacer on the edge of the door to align the drawer front with the door and then lay a spacer on top of the door to keep the drawer front the correct spacing from the door.

Jeff

What method(s) do you use to align and attach drawer fronts to the drawer box ????

Do you glue the fronts to the box before you screw them together?

For overlay stuff, with the drawer front on its face I set the drawer on top of it, and I use a couple of spacers at the bottom of the drawer, and the sides to place it. Blast a couple of pins into it, then run four screws from the inside of the drawer into the drawer front. You have to mount your slides consistently from the bottom of the drawer opening.
Inset I put the drawer in the hole, use something to get the right spacing, pin nail from the back side, and screw it. If you can not get to the back of the drawer while it is in the box, double sided tape works well. I'd still pin it in to hold it while screwing. Probably not a big concern, but I like things simple, and idiot proof.

Really wide drawers I may throw a screw somewhere in the middle just to make sure every thing stays tight.

No glue. If the drawer front has to be removed for some reason you're going to have some serious issues.

I'm also a big fat cheater and use nothing but slides that are adjustable, so if something needs to be fudged, it can be.

Last edited: