Hanging/Mounting from/on the Ceiling

Are there studs in there that I should screw to?

- Joists, yes.

Do they run parallel to the house or perpendicular?

- Your stud finder will serve you well to answer this. Have LOYL leave the room so the device is not confused.

Can I mount a ledger board up there?

- If you want. My dad has one of those heaters and just screwed to the joists. They aren't all that heavy but, do have a pull chain, right?

Are there studs in there that I should screw to?

- Joists, yes.

Do they run parallel to the house or perpendicular?

- Your stud finder will serve you well to answer this. Have LOYL leave the room so the device is not confused.

Can I mount a ledger board up there?

- If you want. My dad has one of those heaters and just screwed to the joists. They aren't all that heavy but, do have a pull chain, right?

Hmmmmmmm a pull chain....never thought of that.....could I just turn it on and off by plugging it/unplugging it? It's going to have to be on a long extension cord anyway until I get an electrician in there......I gotta have some heat before me or my dog drops dead in there.

Have LOYL leave the room so the device is not confused.

:) :) :)

I had a female friend at work. She was relating that she did all the maintenance work around the apartment and they needed to hang up some shelf brackets in the living room. She said she got out her stud sensor, found the studs and attached the brackets.

I asked her if the boyfriend set off the stud sensor. She smiled and said - No he doesn't.

Cheers

Jim

Larry i don't know about 2 ft on centers, i'll bet they are 16" on centers.I don't think anything but really cheap starter homes have 2 ft on centers. Could be wrong but with out looking i'd bet on it.:dunno:
Mine are 2' OC :eek::eek:

Actually, you're both right. If there is living space above (2 story) the ceiling JOISTS are likely to be 16" OC. If it has attic space above with a truss roof system, 24" OC would be the norm.

Mine are 2' OC :eek::eek:

Actually, you're both right. If there is living space above (2 story) the ceiling JOISTS are likely to be 16" OC. If it has attic space above with a truss roof system, 24" OC would be the norm.
Rennie Not sure how they build up in her part of the world.:dunno: But i do know after 30 plus years of building houses i can count on one hand the times i've put any joist 24 on centers. If you put your joist 24 on center you should put your rafters 24 on center also. that is the reason i said what i said about the cheap starter homes. Not saying hers is this way,just would not let anyone do that on my job site.

How heavy are these heaters?
Mine has 2 buss bars lagged to 3 "joist".
Make sure that you are going into the "joist" and not just strapping. I don't know about your neck of the woods but up in my neck we strap ceilings.:thumb:

Okay, let me try to make a few things clearer.

The heaters aren't heavy...I'd say between 5 and 10 lbs. each.

I went out in the garage just now and this is what I found.

The first 3' of garage (including ceiling) is covered by the 2nd floor, so there is no ridge for me to look for (Larry) and the ceiling is 7' high. After that first 3' the ceiling steps up to 8' and the ridge is perpendicular to the wall shared with the house.

So I climbed a step stool and on the ceiling right next to the wall shared with the house, I detect something (joists? studs?) every 2' perpendicular to the wall. Couldn't detect anything parallel to the wall.

I haven't done the ceiling where it steps up because I need a real ladder and I ain't goin' in the other shop at night. :eek: :eek: :eek: with LOML away.

So there you have it :thumb:
My heater is closer to 50 lbs maybe more:dunno: At 5 lbs one lag will be more than enough to hold it up:thumb::rofl:

Cynthia Go out and look for screw pops from the drywall. That will give you the first stud. Measure 16 from there and try out a screw if it bites they are 16 if not try 24, I would put a ledger board on the wall and attach it to that 9 Or the ceiling. Those things throw off lots of heat so you wnat to make sure that they are not too close to thing sthat can catch fire. They do rotate too so you can swing them around to heat other spots in the shop so think of how you will be using them. Also put them near an outlet as those things don't like flimsy extension cords too much unless you have a heavy duty one.

If you don't have screw pops try tapping the wall and listening for a change in the sound. Then try a screw out when you think you hear a difference. Not like a screw hole here or there is going to make any difference in the shop at this stage as I am suure you will be nmoving things on and off the walls in the future.

Rennie Not sure how they build up in her part of the world.:dunno: But i do know after 30 plus years of building houses i can count on one hand the times i've put any joist 24 on centers. If you put your joist 24 on center you should put your rafters 24 on center also. that is the reason i said what i said about the cheap starter homes. Not saying hers is this way,just would not let anyone do that on my job site.
I think our difference is in the member she is lagging into. Note that I said a truss roof system would likely be on 24" centers. For truss systems, my experience has been 24" is the norm in residential construction. Granted, I don't have 30 in the trade, but I do have a few years in truss design.

I agree with the spacing for joists, which I consider to be a whole other animal. They should line up over the wall studs for proper load transfer. But, joist, in my mind, mean a floor above. I am not familiar enough with stick built roof systems to voice an opinion, so 16" OC might be the norm in that case also.

Depending on the age of the house it could be stick framed and then the roof will be on 16's If it is trussed it will most likely be on 24's. Cynthia you said there is a floor above it so still look at the orientation of your roof and the flooor joists should be running in the same direction side to side as your roof goes. Sometimes it can be different in the garage If you have an opener of doors attachedf to the ceiling they will be attached to the joists.

Rennie i missed the truss system part:doh:.The only time we build with trusses is when using them for a floor system.The floor truss system does span a lot further(as you know) so you can have that bigger room with out any walls. When we did some small section 8 homes about 7, 8 years ago. we used roof trusses, but put them on 19.2 centers. It imop is a lot easer to stick build than lug them heavy trusses up top. I guess i'm just getting old.:rofl:

steve yur not gettun old yur eyes are gettin harder to see the fine print:)

i was referring to truss as rafters, and joist are on 16" ctnrs as the norm.. so your right and wrong:) wow both in one day:) me for not sayun what i meant and yu not redin n between my lines:) so drew has it under control i think cynthia..go out the garage door look at your gable the triangle shape hopefully in frt of you..the very top is the ridge, the truss or rafters will be going at 90 degrees to the ridge.. so put your arms out like your gonna fly as you look right down the ridge line. your arms are pointing towards the walls that each joist or truss is settin on and they will be running from one arm to the other..:D:thumb: