Drawer Slide Install

I am building some shop cabinets and I have a question about drawer slide installation. I am planning to build a base cabinet that is 4' wide, divided into two section like this:

cabinet.jpg

Note the red arrow. I want to install drawer slides on either side of the 3/4" partition like in the picture. Is that going to give me any issues? Will the screws run into each other? Should I offset the slides to prevent that? Or, double up the partition?

rob on 3/4" side wall thickness yu should be fine but if you offset them just a touch yu will definitely have no trouble.the position on the other drawers wont be noticed..

Ditto on what the others said. I use 1/2" screws made for drawer slides. Some of the length is taken by the slide itself. The points of the screws will pass by each other inside the panel.

Rob i cannot comment since i dont have the know how but i am delighted to see you posting and around.:thumb: I got a real kick out of your work. I know it is a great deal of effort to post your work but please keep at it. All i could offer to comment is atta boys and well i find that wears a little thin after a while so dont think we aint reading them. :thumb:

I wont go into how i thought to solve this problem:eek: Lets just say Larrys line would have come into play:rofl:

The slides I use have multiple holes to choose from. On center panels I just don't use the holes directly across from each other(?).

Even if you're using 3/4" screws, the chances of them hitting exactly point to point is pretty slim. Not a big deal if they hit each other at a glance either.

The only time I've ran into issues doing something like this, its almost a separate deal, but its when I use the 6.3mm euro screws, and they hit. Then you're outta options other than grinding down a couple of screws, or getting the right length.

Just my .02 cents. I build my shop cabinets similar to that. I hate it and wished I would have just built all drawers and forgot the doors. Essentially pullout shelves are drawers. Why do you want the extra step of having to open doors to pullout the drawer or pullouts. Just more wasted movement.

I'm currently building some new kitchen cabinets for myself and the base are mostly drawers with out doors. My pot and pan cabinet is 4' long and will be all drawers.

Last edited:
Richard:

I don't know your scenario, but something I've been pushing for with my customers is doing basically all drawers in the bases for the past few years for the reasons you just said.
Doing a big ol' bank of drawers can get semi boring though, so I started to stagger the widths of the drawers. It makes a serious pain as you have to have multiple decks, but I like the look.

13662_1206704258985_1570037517_30539005_2839971_n.jpg

You can't see this well in this picture. I was installing it today, I'll take some finished pics, when its painted and done though. There's three drawers at the top, four in the center section, and three at the bottom. The wackier you go the better in my opinion.
63987_1605473187959_1570037517_31424476_883094_n.jpg

or stack a deep drawer over a shallow drawer. Why? Just because its unique.
13662_1206704298986_1570037517_30539006_2121544_n.jpg

Richard:

I don't know your scenario, but something I've been pushing for with my customers is doing basically all drawers in the bases for the past few years for the reasons you just said.
Doing a big ol' bank of drawers can get semi boring though, so I started to stagger the widths of the drawers. It makes a serious pain as you have to have multiple decks, but I like the look.

13662_1206704258985_1570037517_30539005_2839971_n.jpg

You can't see this well in this picture. I was installing it today, I'll take some finished pics, when its painted and done though. There's three drawers at the top, four in the center section, and three at the bottom. The wackier you go the better in my opinion.
63987_1605473187959_1570037517_31424476_883094_n.jpg

or stack a deep drawer over a shallow drawer. Why? Just because its unique.
13662_1206704298986_1570037517_30539006_2121544_n.jpg
I had to edit my reply it should have said "I'm currently building some new kitchen cabinets for myself and the base are mostly drawers WITH OUT doors".

I really like the looks of the island.

when I grow up, I hope I can create a space filled with such clean and beautiful looking woodworking Karl.
Im with Tom on this, might be out of subject with the thread, but Karls work is worth looking at a few times.

Just my .02 cents. I build my shop cabinets similar to that. I hate it and wished I would have just built all drawers and forgot the doors. Essentially pullout shelves are drawers. Why do you want the extra step of having to open doors to pullout the drawer or pullouts. Just more wasted movement...

Speaking for myself, I really like having closed doors on my shop cabinets, as it helps keep the dust off what's inside the cabinets. (I do wish I had pull-out "drawer" shelves, though.)

Count me in as another fan of drawers versus doors. Funny enough, when I built my kitchen cabinets I followed this advice, however, in my own shop, I didn't. :(

One thing I did do in my shop is on the uppers, instead of using a solid panels of wood in the door panels, I used plexiglass (the boxes are white melamine). The advantage of doing this is that it's very bright and at a glance I can basically see what is in each cabinet so no more searching for whatever. IMHO, one of the few good ideas I've ever had.

Count me in as another fan of drawers versus doors. Funny enough, when I built my kitchen cabinets I followed this advice, however, in my own shop, I didn't. :(

One thing I did do in my shop is on the uppers, instead of using a solid panels of wood in the door panels, I used plexiglass (the boxes are white melamine). The advantage of doing this is that it's very bright and at a glance I can basically see what is in each cabinet so no more searching for whatever. IMHO, one of the few good ideas I've ever had.

While I abhor the use of melamine, I do like the idea of using plexiglass for the panels. I need to build something to hold chargers and batteries for the shop. They're kinda piled up everywhere at the moment, and driving me nuts.

I wonder what's cheaper, glass or plexiglass? Plexiglass would probably smarter for a shop environment. Glass wouldn't attract dust like a magnet though.

oh, and thanks for the compliments guys.

I wonder what's cheaper, glass or plexiglass? Plexiglass would probably smarter for a shop environment. Glass wouldn't attract dust like a magnet though.

It's been awhile so went through this but I think I went the plexiglass route due to safety concerns - not that it has ever been a problem. Also, I don't recall it being overly spendy.

I can understand your dislike of melamine and personally I wouldn't use it in a house (kitchen, bath etc.) but in a shop setting I'm pretty much ambivalent about the idea.

Another thing I don't think has been mentioned yet but I think should be. You'll never regret spending the extra $ for 100% opening drawers. Good hardware is a pleasure every time you use it.