reason to move south

Ned Bulken

Despite a travel advisory, the LOML was supposed to be at work at 5:30. at 4:30 she gets up, shovels out (trying to let me sleep). warms up the car and tries to roll through the plow tailings at the end of the driveway and gets hung up. 2 hours later with some help from her ex hubby, we got the car rocked out of the spot.
whiteout.jpg

just about the time I got the newest photos uploaded, the LOML walks in. she got about 2 miles and spun out. No harm no foul, jangled nerves. once she collected herself she slid back home. More shoveling and I put the car back in the driveway.

Truck? what truck?

truckwhattruck.jpg

That is a lot of snow, not sure I have ever seen that much snow. Not sure I would mind though because then I could stay home and do wood work instead of coming work.

Times like this what we all got to realize that good old Mom nature sometimes dictates that we stay home, work can wait.

When it snows like that, I don't care what kind of great snow vehicle you own, or if you are a VERY good snow driver, you should stay home. (not a slam at your wife Ned).

It amazes me how often people go out in conditions like this for something that is not really important, and then they end up pranging up their car, or getting hurt.

Cheers!

I don't envy you Ned, snow wise that is. We don't have near that amount here and I'd be screwed if we did cause that nice big shiny John Deere I bought for plowing snow in the winter....well I let my son use it last fall, he washed it and brought it back. Very thoughtful, except he got water in a cable that controls the three point hitch (blade) and it is frozen in the down position. No heat out in that barn, so I either pray for a little snow, or somehow unfreeze that tractor.:(

Stay warm and stay safe...you are newlyweds, cuddle!

I feel your pain Ned:D I grew up in the Finger Lakes region myself. Funny thing is when I was growing up I just figured the whole world was like that, ah to be naive. It's funny how you just get used to the snow and carry on with life. Other parts of the country just don't understand it. If they shut down every time it snowed up there you'd be closed from October to April!

Here in the south all they have to do is say the word "snow" and folks go crazy, they empty the store shelfs, cancel schools/work etc before the first flake falls! God forbid it actually snows, then the fun really starts:D Really! it's comical.

On the other hand you have all the equipment to deal with the snow too, here when it snows we just wait for it to melt in a day or two. Except for the major roads, nothing gets plowed, we just don't have the equipment. Then again, it only snows a inch or two once every year or two:D

Nope, don't miss it a bit, my parents were firm believers in child labor. We didn't own a snow blower, they had two boys:eek: I shoveled more than enough snow out of our 200' driveway to last me a lifetime and then some.

Mike

Hey!? Where is all that GLOBAL WARMING when you need it?? :rofl: :rofl:

Yesterday here in Sacramento it was almost 70. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Years ago we spoke at a church in the foothills on the first snow day of the year. There are 4 in our family and we DOUBLED the attendance that day. LOL

Last edited:
I just looked up "snow" in the dictionary. Combining the definition and your photos I am starting to get a feel for what snow is. Thanks!

Have to run now----need to pick up some chlorine for the pool.

Last edited:
I just looked up "snow" in the dictionary. Combining the definition and your photos I am starting to get a feel for what snow is. Thanks!

Have to run now----need to pick up some chlorine for the pool.
:rofl: :rofl: Yes, but I bet Ned can count on one hand the times in the last 200 years they had to deal with hurricanes and tornadoes!

Two times in my life I moved for a few years to places where they normally get very little snow. I lived in the south of England for about 4 years and in the Seattle area of the USA for about 7 years.

One of the things that I missed most while living away Canada was the snow. I really really like snow!

tonight, after digging out the truck, I borrowed a snowblower from a friend.

where's ned?
wheresned.jpg

yes, I'm really there, trust me.

digginout.jpg

this is more fun than I would have thought, lot of work of course, but much easier than shoveling.

smooth.jpg

Frank,
I too like 4 seasons, but the LOML could use a bit warmer climate. I'm all for that, and moving to va is in the cards if we can find jobs etc...

We Florida members need to have a barn raising and give a hardy invite to our Snow Birds. We could bunk them down in a nice warm loft so they could do their winter wood working with us. :thumb:

You guys and Gals take it slow and be careful. I was raised in that snow. (Indiana) It's something one doesn't forget.

For you guys, always remember, Snow is like a Woman. The more often you approach it with macho BS. The more often you end up on your butt. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT