Is this a contest? What do we get if we figure out what you were doing from the tools you show? Dovetailing, mortising, ploughing a groove...naw, I can't tell. I am going to have to think about this.

Dagone Candy Man, I thought you might have finally learned to make long transparent chocolate chips. You think That is a lot chips?:huh: I believe they are called SHAVINGS.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
BTW where are the dishes?:dunno:

Just havin' fun wid ya.:D:D

Bruce

PS: Those are some good lookin' RAZORS! :santa::clap:

Last edited:
I believe that in some states you can be arrested for making chocolate chips without cookies! :rofl::rofl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cookies.01.jpg
    Cookies.01.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 213
Is this a contest? What do we get if we figure out what you were doing from the tools you show? Dovetailing, mortising, ploughing a groove...naw, I can't tell. I am going to have to think about this.

Dagone Candy Man, I thought you night have finally learned to make long transparent chocolate. You think That is a lot chips?:huh: I believe they are called SHAVINGS.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
BTW where are the dishes?:dunno:

Just havin' fun wid ya.:D:D

Bruce

PS: Those are some good lookin' RAZORS! :santa::clap:

bill ..your doing pretty good always go with your first answer its normally the best one

bruce..i had cleaned up the first batch:) and i didnt need a rain coat:)

dan.. i had to stop for the milk thats why thge thread isnt done yet:)

looking at those chips(from years of experience making them), and the blatant coverup in the second pic, i would venture to say that larry has ventured into the spinny zone...:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah, they're too short to be lathe curlies. (If Larry was turning, I suspect his tools would be sharp enough to make some long curlies.)

My guess is an end table. ;) Good to see you're getting some shop time in, Larry.

looking at those chips(from years of experience making them), and the blatant coverup in the second pic, i would venture to say that larry has ventured into the spinny zone...:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

say it aint so larry.

Nah, they're too short to be lathe curlies. (If Larry was turning, I suspect his tools would be sharp enough to make some long curlies.)

My guess is an end table. ;) Good to see you're getting some shop time in, Larry.

Those are some fine looking clamps on that table......:D :thumb: :wave:

well dano,, if ihad ventured into the spinny zone yu wouldnt have to worry about all that snow you got it would be rain:)

allen,, you rest easy i havnt give up the fight, and i am still pulling for you to come back and see the light that the lathe isnt your frind:)

vaughn as usual looks logically at anything and is generally right..he sees things others over look, and i dont ever pull the wool over anyones eyes:)

and cynthia those clamps are nice yes but i have found out latly in thelast few months that bench dogs ARE needed to do handwork..and almost got put in yesterday..but help off till i can get some advice from the handtool guys as to where i need to go with them.. one more thing cynthia how many planes do see in the action shot:)

shoulders carry the weight

for those looking for a littel something to toss in the stocking,, i suggest these brass pieces for measuring if yu dont already have them.. your finger and these are the best measurement device we have..i use them all the time..

I needed to get a uniform tenon that would be centered on the rails of the end table so i used this little guy and my sledtn_shoulder 1.jpg

made a trial run and liked what i got, tried it against my mortice and yup just a touch fat,,plane to fit and we in like flynn tn_shoulder 2.jpg

run all the pieces at the same setting to make them the same size and to save time in the process i had a stop on the sled to give me the need legth of tenon

then run the waste of with a dado blade, i have done several ways and even posted a thread of the way to do it so that others can see the various methods out there but for me the dado blade worked the best and the quickest
tn_shoulder 3.jpg tn_shoulder 4.jpg

tn_shoulder 5.jpg now to fit the tenons to the mortices:)

centered slots

well to get the grove to accept the tenons i made earlier i need to have centerd groves for the panels below, so i took and grabbed a up cut spiral bit and set it up on the router table,
tn_Slots 1.jpg

now here is where carol helps us all, dont take to much cut at once so i took and added a spacer sheet to allow for shallow cut first then a final cut later. one setting but two cuts..
tn_Slots 2.jpg

so after gettin the depth figured out i took and figured where i need to start and stop and marked my fence with tape to the right position, in this case i had a wider mortise at each end so it allowed for me to drop in and make my cuts easily, i actually did think ahead on this one:)
tn_Slots 3.jpg tn_Slots 4.jpg

and so after the final cuts were made i had this which is centered just right,, i did use a scrap piece to check my measurements out before making the cuts.. have made that mistake in the past enough to have learned it finally:)

tn_Slots 5.jpg

Well Larry, Carol has helped us a great deal more if you look in her book and make the mortising fixture. When i made it she said to me "Rob you gonna like it when you get to play with it" Sure enough she was right.

The real cool thing is the following

1) You get to cut the slot right way up so you can see what you doing.

2) You set stops so there is no chance of slipping past your marks.

3) You get to set the depth with your plunge router bit by bit.

4) The workpiece is held secure and your hands are far away from any action on the routers handles.

5) Both router and workpiece cannot go anywhere as the router is guided by a runner in mitre gauge type slot parrallel to the workpiece.

If one makes and error on her jig i dunno i think one then needs to examine whether to continue woodworking.:D

Guess you can tell i am a devoted fan. Sorry for the hijack. Her book changed my woodworking life.:)

Oh and one last final shot across the bows, you dont need to router table to do a mortise.:D;):thumb:

well rob, i am sure her jig is a good one, saw it but dont think we had enough time to actually see it in action,, need to go back there and visit her and brent both:) someday..nice country and folk as well..

and cynthia those clamps are nice yes but i have found out latly in thelast few months that bench dogs ARE needed to do handwork..and almost got put in yesterday..but help off till i can get some advice from the handtool guys as to where i need to go with them.. one more thing cynthia how many planes do see in the action shot:)

I count 4, but I'm not very good at those fine detail tests where you look for what's missing in the picture.....I usually fail those.... :eek:

panels in process

ok we now need to make the panels fit the frame work, which meant that i needed a tongue all around the panels and centered so took a rabbet bit set the rebate depth and ran the raw panels, done the end grain first, so if i got a tear-out problem it would clean up on the long grain side.

tn_Panels 001.jpg tn_Panels 002.jpg
after i got the rabbets done i needed to make the beveld frnts, which i did on the table saw, worked well with the jig and some clamps. this slides along the fence and i made two cuts one for the approx size then another to clean up to final size,
tn_panel bevel 1.jpg tn_panel bevel 2.jpg
then came time to smooth up the frnts,, this where i really found out that bench dogs are a good thing to have. i clamped and rigged it to work but will have dogs soon..before the next project like this:)
tried to get the grain straightend out but it wouldnt cooperate:)

tn_Panels 003.jpg

the time was to check fit and touch up with a rabbet plane as needed

tn_Panels 004.jpg

the tops, bottoms, and sides both need to be checked for smooth fit. need to allow for movement in the final piece

tn_Panels 005.jpg tn_Panels 006.jpg

Last edited: