Palm router worthwhile?

I've got a couple of the cheap Porter Cable laminate routers. They don't last too long. Porter Cable did have a model that is pretty awesome, I've got one, and I wouldn't mind a few more. But like all good tools, its been discontinued.

I'm not sure what is a good option anymore.

I've got a couple of the cheap Porter Cable laminate routers. They don't last too long. Porter Cable did have a model that is pretty awesome, I've got one, and I wouldn't mind a few more. But like all good tools, its been discontinued.

I'm not sure what is a good option anymore.
I have 3 of the older orter-Cable 310 Production Laminate Trimmer, awesome little router. There may be some of those laying around yet. I found one here.

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-310.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle&utm_term=P-C310

be careful karl ,, i was told they discontinued them, and these may be a cheaper built knock off from another company.. check out the laminate pro sites for some added info..cant remember where i got mine some time back but they had the whole story about the ul listing not making the grade because of some of the inner workings possibly causing a fire or such in the new regs..

The older good stuff is worth re-building, and they are on auctions once in while too. Last time I heard it costs about $200 to rebuild a PC504 belt sander entirely.

I also saw on that link you can get a replacement motor for the 6902 routers. The router I use for cutting dovetails is starting to rattle pretty good. Hate to buy another D-handle base for no reason, when the one I have is literally in perfect condition. The height has been adjusted less the 20 times I bet.

I had the PC one but someone "borrowed" it one day and forgot to return it. I really liked it.
I replaced it with the HF version for about $20. nothing great but works for the few times I use it.

I have a PC similar to the one shown in the OP along with two HF trim routers. I keep a chamfer bit in the PC, 1/8" RO in one HF and 1/4" RO in the other HF. I prefer the $20 HF to the PC that cost me $100 because of ease of use.

Lately a small router has slowly moved from my mental 'That might be nice to have' list to my 'I need one of those' list. I don't do laminate. My primary use would be round over, hindge mortise, and the like. For my use, what style of base would be more useful? So far I've not seriously examined bases.

spindle lock trouble??? i havnt had it yet so what parts are needed to fix it or is it just another wrench.. would be good to fix before it messed up maybe..

A common complaint back-when was that something in the spindle broke due to using the spindle-lock and levering against it with the one wrench supplied. The router was cheerfully fixed in a few days by someone who had done quite a few. I was told to contact Bosch and ask for the "second wrench". A nice shiny 10mm wrench showed up in the mail.

For my use, what style of base would be more useful? So far I've not seriously examined bases.

IMHO, the Pat Warner offset base with the collet sized hole. I actually bought the set of two, on offset and one round. The round one has never even been opened. I also don't do laminates. I use it as you describe and more.

The HF Works Good for Me

I have the Harbor Freight with a 1/8" round over sitting in it. I was about to buy the Bosch when my Dad surprised me with the HF. Probably cost him $20. It is convenient, light weight, and works great. A little loud and seems to get very warm. I'll use it until it breaks and think about the Bosch or the new DeWalt then.