Need some input on International sales

Jeff Horton

I need some facts, not just fear driven opinions please. Just had an inquiry from the Czech Republic about purchasing some items. Red flag goes up instantly but I need to know facts and what if any risk there really is.

I would like to know if you were able to send me one of your plans to the Czech Republic (together with some other stuff like some fabric for skin, artificial sinew and footrest brackets. I am rather conservative, so I dont have a credit card, which I could use for a payment via internet. Is it possible please to send you the money by bank tranfer from my bank account?

Anyone know the facts on bank to bank transfers? Obviously I will do some homework and talk to my bank. Just thought someone might have some experience in the matter. I have done a fair amount of international sales but always credit card.

Yes, it sounds suspicious. However I was looking on the my web hosting account early today and was surprised to see that I have a lot Czech visitors to the site. And I see a similar name showing up in CZ rafting and kayaking pages when I do a Google Search. Email address is often close but appears to be altered display on a couple of related forums. So the guy might be legit?

Is there a service like western union to transfer funds from there? I sure would not be comfortable giving most anyone my account number to transfer funds to.

Two factors I would weigh first and foremost:

1) if it turns out to be a scam, is it going to be an amount that you are willing to lose as a life lesson?

2) who would be going information to whom? If you have to give your account number an routing information to someone over the phone, walk away. If it's done in your branch and they are supplying the information to a known entity, then that's different.

As someone who got burned on an international business venture, choose wisely. Luckily I did it via credit card and got reimbursed.

Let get this clear before I get 50 replies warning me.

I am not stupid enough to give out my account numbers

Just thought someone might have some experience and know the facts. I will be checking with my bank Monday. Obviously there are ways to do this safely, it happens every day. Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Just thought someone might have some experience and know the facts. I will be checking with my bank Monday. Obviously there are ways to do this safely, it happens every day. Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Sorry Jeff that was not my insinuation.

NO NO!! that was not aimed at either of your comments!!

I just know if I don't say that what will happen. I will have a ton of replies warning me of the dangers and I am well aware of that.

I am always cautious on international credit card sales!

I have a simple moto "Trust no one".

Excuses and exceptions to the norm from foreign 'possible' customers is a huge red flag for me. I have been burned and have backed out of several fishy appearing deals. He may not have a credit card but he could open a Pay Pal account.
Wire and bank transfers are possible but they are very costly.
Another red flag, for me, is when, as the transaction proceeds the customers command of English seems to deteriorate. Sometimes it gets to the point you don't know what they mean. And that is the intent, confusion is a scam in the making.
BTW, I have had many-many successful and happy overseas transactions. I do not paint with a broad brush.

Jeff,
You are headed in the right direction... I did lots of international trading when I was working... mostly in letters of credit, which probably would cost more to negotiate and handle than your transaction will call for...my transactions were in 6 and 7 figures on the L/C's .. a few hundred dollars in transaction fees didn't affect the outcome so much..... best bet will be to work with your bank, especially if they have an international department.... there is a document called a draft... effectively, it's an international check drawn between banks and sometimes used for smaller transactions.

An example, I had an email last week from a guy interested in one of my bowls.... he more or less described the bowl, but then asked the price and if I took credit cards and if I shipped to the UAE.... I use a paypal shopping cart with credit card capabilities and each bowl has an item number distinctive to each bowl... he only had to read the terms and conditions on the website... I think he was fishing.

if it's a legit deal, the guy will be pretty specific in what he's looking for... if he's just fishing for information and trying a scam, I find the emails and correspondence to be a little vague.... rather than get lots of varying stories and concepts, do what you instinct is telling you to do... work with your bank.

Jeff there is nothing wrong with the Czech republic and actually its the wealthier part of the former Czechoslovakia. In my past life i have traded in 33 countries around the world.

Chuck hit the nail on the head in all respects of banking.

Dont loose legititmate business because of scams. There is more legititmate trade taking place than scams.

You mention this guy being interested. Is he just after one item or more?

Think outside the box this could be a distributor for you.

I would set up a seperate email address and correspond with him. Even call him on the phone and have a chat. Most people in Europe today speak english. Might be a little broken but hey its probably better than our slovak.

BTW i have traded with Iran, Turkey and China and all have legitimate banks and can do normal business. They just ordinary people afterall.

Just go see your bank but make sure its not just a local community bank. Look for an international bank that deals in forex frequently.

As Chuck said LC could be very expensive but if the guy could become something like a distributor then a small revolving lc might be the way to go. Depends on what you selling him and how its going to be delivered.

Nothing stops you from setting up a new bank account with zero balance at another bank and using that to isolate yourself.

The guy can as Tom pointed out go to Western Union and use them to transfer funds to you and it works well as a system and is secure. Fees aint to bad and he probably can pay online through his own bank and western union.

Dont be paranoid just because he aint in the USA.:) You got crooks in the USA too.

ANSWERS!

Visited with the Bank today. Turns out my cousin that works down there handles the International wires. She, like me, does some trading on the side and had a little experience as well as bank training.

Rob, I have done quite a few International Sales and Shipping. A year ago when I first started half my sales were International. I have no problem with that. Just this fellow says he doesn't so Credit Cards and wanted to know about wire transfers.

.....Just go see your bank but make sure its not just a local community bank. Look for an international bank that deals in forex frequently......

.....Nothing stops you from setting up a new bank account with zero balance at another bank and using that to isolate yourself.

First off, this is not a Community Bank but it not a big bank either. But Melissa was well versed in how they handle this type of transaction. Bottom line is I have to give the buyer all my information and if he is a crook she said there is nothing to stop them from cleaning out my account. Since I have a good established relationship with the Bank they could even overdraw me.

Same thing with setting up a second account. After a while once it get established the bank will automatically allow a certain level of overdraft on the account. :eek: That was a BIG SURPRISE!

She was saying that they have so many accounts that they have to have the person/bank sending the money give them an actual account number to know where to deposit the funds. Of course with that info they can also remove funds.

I will suggest Western Union and we will see really quickly if the guy is legit or not. I really think he is but we will see. If not he is not the typical scammer just phishing for something.

What amazes me is that the Bank can not set up a Temporary or Alternate ID for this purpose. Seems that they could create some sort of ID that only means something to my bank. So when the money comes in to be deposited in XYZ account number 123, they know that that is actually me and the other bank/people doesn't know my real account number. Of course maybe a bank that does a lot of International business may have and there just isn't enough demand with them for something like that.

I will drop him an email and we will see where it goes.