getting nicks off of chisels.

I gave up the first half and now into the 3rd period of the Giant game to work seriously on these chisels.
Ive sharpened them all lightly(before tonight), but with paper and was a bit hesitant at that.
I took one marples and lightly for a split second touched the grinder. The nick was gone in a second. I will not touch the ashley Isles chisel to the grinder.
Cant do it. Not yet. IM not prepared to ruin a good chisel, I need alot more experience with the grinder.
I did work the one bad AI chisel up from 220, and the nick is almost not visible anymore, but the blade for me, since I really dont know what sharp is, cut the end grain of white oak, and for me, good enough. (Im able to shave a perfect shaving off a pine stairtread about as easy as a hot knife goes through butter)
I sharpened all 8 chisels, only that one on the grinder, and none of the others on the 220 stone, just 400, 1000, 8000.
I thought about the planes, because the block plane really needs sharpening, but my finger tip was bleeding so I oiled a rag and wiped them all down and put them to sleep till the next time Ill need them.
Ill tackle the planes wednesday.
My problem is Ive learned to respect my lack of skills.
and then post about it.

speaking of oiling down chisels. what oil do you use? Ive never a rust problem with any handtools ever before, but wanted to oil them down.(I used a damp wd40 rag)

(hey, we have about 1/2 inch of snow, it really stinks)

Last edited:
My lowest grit on the stones is 220. I worked that stone alot but I started wondering if Im killing the blade by overworking that grit.

You can't kill a chisel by over sharpening with a stone, but you can kill a water stone oversharpening a chisel with it. Make sure you work the stone evenly, and occasionally flip it over and reflatten it. They sell some stone flatteners, or sandpaper on glass/granite, or two stones against each other.

As far as killing the temper of a chisel, it's all based on temperature. For most accidents, even if you do get the tip to hot, usually only just the tip is messed up not the entire thing. The next few sharpenings might not last quite as long but you'll get back into the non heat affected zone soon enough if you didn't get crazy with the grinder. Start slow, and check the temp. If it doesn't burn you it's not nearly hot enough to hurt the metal.