Marine Stabbed by Suspected Shoplifter

Don Baer

Staff member
I just love stories with a happy ending

November 27, 2010

Associated Press

AUGUSTA, Ga. - A U.S. Marine reservist collecting toys for children was stabbed when he helped stop a suspected shoplifter in eastern Georgia.

Best Buy sales manager Orvin Smith told The Augusta Chronicle that man was seen on surveillance cameras Friday putting a laptop under his jacket at the Augusta store.

When confronted, the man became irate, knocked down an employee, pulled a knife and ran toward the door. Outside were four Marines collecting toys for the service branch's "Toys For Tots" program.

Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of them, Cpl. Phillip Duggan, in the back. The cut did not appear to be severe.

The suspect was transported to the local hospital with two broken arms, a broken leg, possible broken ribs, assorted lacerations and bruises he obtained when he fell trying to run after stabbing the Marine.

The suspect, whose name was not released, was held until police arrived. The Richmond County Sheriff's office said it is investigating.

Good story Don. they should have had him fall on his own blade and saved everybody a lot of trouble looking after him.

The real sad thing is in October this year, a shopkeeper in downtown Toronto ended up being charged after making a citizens arrest of a shoplifter trying to flee his shop with stolen goods. He ended up in court being charged with assault and forcible confinement. The judge let him go but only because of the uproar the whole excercise caused in the media.

The party arrested was a known career criminal.

The press claim he was a target of vigilante justice from shopkeepers.:huh:

He is also a known cocaine addict.

I cannot get my mind around this kind of logic that gives people who break the law more rights than the victim. Can you imagine the lawsuites here if this guy had met the fate of the guy in your story.

What's the saying "its a mad mad world":D.:huh:

I liked the pretend ending better. :p

But Rob's right...if the Marines had actually given the guy what he deserved, all four of them would have been brought up on assault charges. :rolleyes:

.....I cannot get my mind around this kind of logic that gives people who break the law more rights than the victim. Can you imagine the lawsuites here if this guy had met the fate of the guy in your story..........

Have you ever read "Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein? :rolleyes:

not the really LOUSY movie, but the books, some interesting ideas on governments and responsibility there.... just saying :D :wave: