Oh lonesome me......

back in shop, project in progress

Today is a banner day for me. :woot: I'm back in the shop working on stuff. Feels good. Between the shoulder surgery, recovery and cold weather I hadn't done anything in there in ages. :(
I continued work today on the chalice/plaque project I started, I think in year 300 A.D. :rolleyes:
Finished the chalice turning then split it down center on the glue line with bandsaw.
Shown, I'm getting ready to lay out the design and start carving. Mebbe another pic tomorrow. I did do some carving.
Funny thing, I lost some of my 'touch' on the lathe. :eek: Some relearning needed there. But, the carving came back like I had never quit. I was never a really good carver compared to some of the carvers around here I know. But, even minimal skills are handy now and then.
Looking at the half-chalice, I see some lines I would have changed. Funny, they are noticeable to me in the picture but not in the flesh.

Attachments

• chalice in progress.jpg
    chalice in progress.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 32
Good to see you're making dust again, Frank. Seeing your comments about relearning skills reminds me of the famous metaphor about leading an old horse to water and teaching him new tricks with the two birds you have in your hands, while the rolling moss is unturning stone leaves. Or something like that. :huh: :p

The chalice plaque is looking good so far. :thumb:

Nearing the end, finally. Not due to difficulty just limited shop time.
I got the plaque stained and did the carving.
Yesterday I did most of the painting. Now, me and paint brushes have as about as nice a relationship as me and vipers. Enneyhow the spotchy edges will be cleaned up today and the host (white part) finished today. I plan to put the chalice on later and take to the church and hang.
I'll try to post a finished pic later today.

Attachments

• chalice painted.jpg
    chalice painted.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 16
  • plaque stained.jpg
    plaque stained.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 18
Well it is done and hung. Not quite up to what I envisioned. If I do another, and I probably will, there will be changes. The wood will not be stained quite as dark. The rays will be larger and deeper and the gouge cuts to make the host stand out will be wider and deeper.
The stain was Minwax dark walnut, the gold paint was an acrylic metallic and the white was acrylic. The chalice was painted with Krylon rattle can brilliant gold paint, two coats. Over that is Krylon clear coat, two applications.
BTW, the plaque wood is the basswood I mentioned early in this thread. It is by far the finest basswood I have ever put a gouge to. White, clear and butter soft to carve.
Best of all, good to be back in the shop. Sun is out and the funkies are going away.

Attachments

• plaque in church.jpg
    plaque in church.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 15