Nova DVR XP Question

Gord Rock

I've just started trying to create my first open-segment project. My Nova DVR has a very slight play when I lock the indexing pin; it's not much but there is enough play to give me trouble lining up the segments perfectly. :( Does anyone else with this lathe have any play when the headstock is locked? Or is my lathe an exception? This hasn't bothered me in the past but it sure makes a big difference in trying to line up segments this way.

I've taken it apart and can't find any way to extend the pin lower into the indexing wheel. I believe if it dropped about 1/16" to 1/8" further it would be tight enough. Any ideas? Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
.....Gord

Nope my DVR does it to Gord. Just a slight amount. I just turned on a Jet 1642 and it does move to so I don't think it is unusual. My Rikon I just checked moves slightly also.

I admit that the amount of play is very small, however at the outer rim of a 12" bowl that small amount becomes about 1/4" and that's making it very difficult to line up the segments on an open-segment bowl with any accuracy. :dunno:

Mine (1624-44), has had the same play, but just the other day I noticed the index pin won't hold any more. Removing the chuck and the spindle would turn, with the pin engaged. Been trying to get ahold of customer support and no luck so far.

As I mentioned, I've been having a problem with the index pin not holding. Teknatool returned my call the other day, and I gotta tell ya, they were great. I spoke with Bob Groskopfs, and explained the problem. He was willing to take a unit apart and send me the complete index assembly. I told him not to do that, instead, order the parts because it was not a dire emergency. Well, the next day, Bob called back, he found an empty headstock in their warehouse and examined the working of the index pin. He suggested I remove the acorn nut, then, using needle nose pliers to hold the threaded portion, back the knurled knob off one revolution, and replace the acorn nut. I did it and...problem solved!! Backing off the knurled knob allowed the index pin to go in a little deeper to the holes in the pulley. Bob was extremely helpful. I couldn't be happier with the new customer service. Gord, you might try the same thing on your lathe, it might tighten up some of that slop.