My new shop, progress?

Doug Robinson

Hello everyone:

Followed ya all over from the creek.

My family and I moved to raleigh, NC in August. Since we have no basement my shop is now located in the third bay of our three car garage. I have completed a partition wall to separate the shop from the rest of the garage. I had the very welcome help of three people from NCWoodworkers.:)

These pics are of the partition in progress. I have finished sheathing the partion on the shop side. I plan to sheath all of the walls the same way.

A local friend is a licensed electrician. He is going to wire and light the whole shop. In return I will be building him built-ins in his house. Unfortunately, due to our schedules and the Thanksgiving holiday we will not be able to do the wiring intil the first weekend in December.:(

I left the back side of the partion open to facilitate the wiring and will insulate and sheetrock that side in the end. I also plan to hang a lumber rack on the garage side of the wall.

The opening above the doorway is for the AC/Heating unit.

I am working on a clamp rack and storage cabinets while I wait.

I will try to post more pics.

Attachments

• shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 107
  • shop2.jpg
    shop2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 99
  • shop3.jpg
    shop3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 95
One more pic

Here is a close-up of the doorway.

Obviously this not on the order of Marty's shop, or most members of the forum, but it's what I've got.:)

Doug

Attachments

• Shop4.jpg
    Shop4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 53
doug, thanks for sharing! on the order of martys or not you`ve got a shop in the works and that`s what counts! keep making sawdust and please keep us posted on your progress........... remember vaughn has orange shag carpet in his shop and is available for design consultation:eek: .......tod

Doug,

Glad you decided to come over and join us.

As tod says, it's not about the size of the shop, but the existance of the shop! Not to mention, you'll be making fun sawdust before I will...:(

Keep the pictures coming as you progress. I'm off to do some wiring...

Enjoy your stay...
- Marty -

Doug,
I am most interested in what you up to since I am building and will have a 3 car garage. LOML want me to wall in the single car garage for the shop to mitigate saw dust from getting into the new house, I have agreed to do so but am thinking that part of the 2 car garage should be used for finishing and other workshop suff such as storing the aircompressor, etc. This will keep the work shop as a woodworking shop only.

Oh and welcome to the Family woodworking.

Last edited:
Space is at a premium

I now realize that space is my most limited resource. More mobile bases are in my future. Since my ceiling is 11 1/2 feet high I will use the higher part of the wall for storage. I am working on a folding clamp rack that will store 45 clamps. Pics to follow (tomorrow hopefully).

Doug

Doug,
I am most interested in what you up to since I am building and will have a 3 car garage. LOML want me to wall in the single car garage for the shop to mitigate saw dust from getting into the new house, I have agreed to do so but am thinking that part of the 2 car garage should be used for finishing and other workshop suff such as storing the aircompressor, etc. This will keep the work shop as a woodworking shop only.

Oh and welcome to the creek.

Me thinks Don had a freudian slip...or a petticoat even! :eek:
:D

... remember vaughn has orange shag carpet in his shop and is available for design consultation:eek: .......tod
Hey buddy, it's GREEN carpet, and it's closed loop, not shag. Sheesh! Some people. :rolleyes: You must be confusing the green carpet with the orange tablesaw. :D And you're right...I do garage shop design consultations. I'm not cheap, but you'll have the flashiest shop on the block. :p

Your shop's off to a good start, Doug. Keep them pictures coming!

Clamp rack

While I am waiting to do the electrical work in December, I built a clamp rack. It was originally like the one in FWW 187, but the despite using MANY hinges, the second rack still sagged. So I took in apart and made three separate racks. This may not be the final arrangement.

Here are a couple of shots of the shop. This is NOT the final arrangement.

Doug

Last weekends progress pics

Well, my friend Mike the electrician had problems and could not get here until about 1 PM saturday. We ran wire in the partition wall, knocked holes in the back and side walls and started mounting lights.

The sheet rock made a mess!!

After mounting 3 eight foot fixtures, the problems began. The 4th fixture was not the right one. We drove to Lowes to exchange it but they did not have the one we needed. So we went to HD. We got one alot like the other three, but not the same brand. Wouldn't you know it the punch-out holes in the sides were not in the right places. Mike forgot the necessary tool, so it was back to the HD. But they didn't have it either. So ended saturday with Mike.

I continued alone running wire in the outside wall for the dedicated circuit for the dust collector. What a PIA!!! :bang: The bulider actually had five (5!!!) studed together in four places on that wall!!! Thankfully Mike left his drill and 1' drill bit.

Sunday I covered the outside wall in T-10. It took 6 hours as I had to fit it around two windows, accommodate one existing outlet, and the ceiling is 11.5' tall.

Mike is coming back next Saturday morning to wire the outlets on the back wall, install the last light and wire the lights, and hook up the outlets. During the week I will install the outlet boxes in the partition wall and the outside wall, build the support box for the AC/heater unit, and install it over the door.

Hopefully on Sunday I can panel the back wall. The basic shop structure will then be done. Wish me luck!

I have no idea how Marty gets so much done so quickly and well done. Although he may feel that it is taking forever.:dunno:

Doug

Attachments

• Back wall.jpg
    Back wall.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Mess1.jpg
    Mess1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Outside Wall1.jpg
    Outside Wall1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Panels1.jpg
    Panels1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 26
You continue to make good and steady progress. I look forward to the next chapter.

By the way Doug, I think that this thread fits better into the 'Carpentry and Construction' forum. Is it OK with you if I move it?