HD Plywood Deal

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if it's at all Home Depots, but mine had some 3/4" (or whatever passes for 3/4") 'Cabinet Grade' ply on sale for 25$ a sheet. It's not the greatest, but it seriously didn't look that bad for only 25$.

I wouldn't necessarily use it on real cabinets, but it looks like it would work well for shop cab projects.

I picked up a bunch to slice up for shelving for an organizational project I'm working on and some extra for hopefully doing some shop reorg in the not to distant future.

Just saying it's not the worst stuff I've ever seen...

Brent, I saw that today too. So I'd say it's nation wide. I bought some last Spring at 29.00 a sheet for the cabinet under my TS outfeed table. It is pretty decent ply. Few voids, although I don't remember running into any. Might stain ok. I painted my cabinet. LOML liked the grain anyway. :D I'm weighing the price difference between 2 sheets of that, and 12 2X4s to make my wood rack. The 2X4s would be cheaper, but more prone to warp. Jim.

I used that same plywood for the interior of my kitchen cabinets. The plywood stayed straight and didn't have any voids in it.

Say what you want about the plywood at the borgs but I've had my fill of the domestic junk with all the voids and the face veneer flaking off. And this is plywood thats bought from the hardwood and plywood suppliers for the local cabinet shops.

I'd be a little concerned I've read some pretty bad reports about Chinese plywood sold in box stores with lots of problems like de-laminating and even finding pieces of metal in between the laminates.

Not sure if it's at all Home Depots, but mine had some 3/4" (or whatever passes for 3/4") 'Cabinet Grade' ply on sale for 25$ a sheet. It's not the greatest, but it seriously didn't look that bad for only 25$.

I wouldn't necessarily use it on real cabinets, but it looks like it would work well for shop cab projects.

I picked up a bunch to slice up for shelving for an organizational project I'm working on and some extra for hopefully doing some shop reorg in the not to distant future.

Just saying it's not the worst stuff I've ever seen...

I'll need to check that out.... I need to build a couple of shop cabinets for my shop... I've been thinking and planning for the last 5 years... guess it's about time to start the project. :rofl:

Yeah, that's why I stocked up.

After I get some shelves in the 'BunkHouse' put up and that whole mess reorganized, I think its about time I did something for my 'Shop'.

Planning on converting one wall into a RAS/MiterSaw station with storage for tools under it on 'flip top' pull out cabinets, and some decent storage up above. I'll probably just make things worse in the short run, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'd be a little concerned I've read some pretty bad reports about Chinese plywood sold in box stores with lots of problems like de-laminating and even finding pieces of metal in between the laminates.

It's possible that this could be from Brazil... they have a pretty large plywood production down there... before I retired, the company I worked for imported all our plywood from Brazil.... we used about 2-5 container loads a week in our packing operation.... it was actually better wood than we were getting from Georgia-Pacific that had a warehouse about 2 blocks away from us....we could buy, import, pay duties and dray from the docks cheaper than we could go around the corner.... biggest problem we had with the plywood was finding a ship out of the ports in Brazil with space for us and then getting it out of the container... they could pack a container tight!

The plywood itself was tightly bonded, very few voids ever and consistent in thickness. Grain was a little coarse, but we were using it as exterior sheathing on ocean boxes anyway... so that didn't matter.

I might have to go look.

However, with the 'good stuff' being only about $5 more on a regular basis at my supplier, it's still a tough sell. Only advantage is they have material to put it on top of the car if I need a sheet in a pinch.

Like I said, Not the greatest stuff, but pretty cheap for doing things like slicing it up for shop shelves... I wouldn't use it as the basis for anything I really cared about...

Sounds like a pretty good deal for certain applications. Last spring I discovered "sandply" at the BORG. I got 1/2" for about $30/sheet and it's pretty nice stuff. It's good two sides and looks real nice. I used it to build a bunch of display cabinets and a sales counter for a new skateboard pro shop. Some of them were painted and some were stained. I was in there the other day and the stuff looks great. In fact, about a week ago she had someone come in and comment on how nice all of the display fixtures looked. She asked where they got them. The owner gave her my name and number. I haven't heard from her yet, but maybe I will soon. Hopefully I'll be healed up and ready to go if she needs some more built! :):

John