Treasure From Home

Stuart Ablett

I mentioned to my dad how I had recently won a few braces on auction, here in Japan, and would be looking for some bits to use, he commented that he had some and that he never used them, so if I wanted them....? :thumb:

Thanks Dad!:D

They came today....

IMG_1087.JPG IMG_1088.JPG
The bits and the roll, the note says that some of these bits were for sure my grandfather's tools, that really put a smile on my face, as I do not have anything from my Grandfather Ablett, as he passed away while I was still quite young.

IMG_1089.JPG
The collection.
I'll have to sharpen them, and in fact some may not be that useable, as they may be all used up but we shall see.

I'll post below what I can read on the bits;

IMG_1090.JPG
Big Adjustable Bit
#6 Rockford, Ill
GreenLee
Made In USA

IMG_1091.JPG
1 1/8" WM RIDGWAY
SHEFIELD
POWER
MADE IN ENGLAND
This one has a VERY curious style to it, I tried to take some close up shots......
IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1096.JPG
Very curious indeed, at least to me.

IMG_1092.JPG
the last ones;
RUSSELL JENNINGS
MADE I USA
No. 100
8/16

IRWIN-USA 8

RUSSELL JENNINGS
MADE IN USA
No. 100 6 or 9 (hard to read the number down on the pyramid shaped end that goes on the chuck)

GREEN LEE
MADE IN USA 4

G.GILMORE 4

IMG_1093.JPG
Finally, two similar sized bits, but they are very different, I'd suggest the one with the coarser design is for soft wood, the other for hard wood.

I certainly need to add to the stable, and I will, but these are a very nice gift from my dad, I hope to bring them back to life and use them for another generation.

Cheers!