Property of HC Bohack

allen levine

Just a brief history how I got this cart.
Over the years I attended auctions and sales at store closings, whatever.
Somewhere around 1995-96, a Playworld store in Rockville Centre NY, was closing its doors and I purchased some merchandise from them.
They were also selling off fixtures. When strolling around the basement, (yeah, the manager said sure, go ahead), I found this old cart sitting in the far corner.
I purchased it.
This Playworld store was originally a Bohack supermarket before it became a playworld in 1971 or 1972. There were bad rumors associated with the bohack, probably just nonsense rumors, I wont go into stuff I cant believe.
Anyway, the cart with a few others Ive purchased sat in my basement.(my old store)
Last year, the building next to me had a sewer line break, and my basement as well flooded with raw sewerage. This cart sat in the water for weeks.
(Along with others)
When I had the metal scrap dealer last week, he emptied all the old rusted iron out of the basement, including this cart, but I told him I wanted to hold onto it, just because I thought about the casters. When I got them home, they were just too rusty, but they worked fine. I sprayed them with wd40.
I contacted Dave, asked him how to clean up really thick rust on the bed of this cart.
He told me to purchase some PB blaster and use steel wool. so I did.
while cleaning it today, I found stamped in the metal, property of HC Bohack.
I just thought that was cool, maybe this thing is 100 years old. I think if a car hit it head on, it would remain intact and the car would smash up.
So I cleaned it up a bit, sprayed it cherry red, and have no clue what to do with it yet. Like I said, just thought it was cool, never know, it could be part of rumored history.

I was told to remain indoors and dont dare touch machinery today since my therapy was put off till evening today. People tend to be weak and sluggish during IV therapy. I dont believe everything people tell me.
I denailed the pine I salvaged(maybe a waste of time) and cleaned up this cart so far today, so much for the weakness crap.
I will finally start the beds next week. Take a look at this thing, any idea how old it may be?

(hey, I know this is boring to some, but I find old things interested, no matter what they are but are authentic, and I just liked the stamp property of)

Attachments

• bed 110 (Medium).jpg
    bed 110 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 95
  • bed 112 (Medium).jpg
    bed 112 (Medium).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 92
  • bed 114 (Medium).jpg
    bed 114 (Medium).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 106
Now that's a real hand truck. I remember the Bohack name too. I think this is very cool too. [shows you how ancient you and I are getting - we both think an old repainted supermarket cart is cool.]

Theres some other old stuff down there, but Im not reaching into places I dont want to find live creatures hanging out.
I did pull out some old signage, some old perfume ads, when I bring them home Ill post them up. Nothing worth money, just old stuff thats been buried for 40-60 years.(we did find silver coins stuck under the raised floor where the old register counter was, although I didnt get any of them, the workers did)
I gotta go fix the towel rack on the bathroom door before my nurse or wife gets here, dont want to get in trouble.

Im sorry I must have tossed 5 boxes full of stuff 50-75 years old without looking.
I did pull some of the mortar and pestles from a box marked old store.Naturally they just could have been tossed in there like everything else old was just tossed somewhere.(previous to 1957 I believe)
I have no clue how old they are, no clue about anything other than Id like to figure out how to restore the wooden handles and clean it all up and maybe put them on a shelf one day in my office.
My ex boss/partner, didnt believe in throwing anything away.
(at least with my new cheap camera Im getting much clearer pictures)

Attachments

• bed 120 (Medium).jpg
    bed 120 (Medium).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 51
  • bed 115 (Medium).jpg
    bed 115 (Medium).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
some cool signs I found buried under the raised floor, must be from the 60s judging from the hairdo.well, from the printing company sticker on the back, I know its prior to 1963.

Attachments

• bed 121 (Medium).jpg
    bed 121 (Medium).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 36
  • bed 125 (Medium).jpg
    bed 125 (Medium).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
some cool signs I found buried under the raised floor, must be from the 60s judging from the hairdo.well, from the printing company sticker on the back, I know its prior to 1963.

Did you own the store back then, or are the posters from an earlier era? I'm guessing you were a bit too young in 1963 to be owning a store. (Either that, or you're darned good-looking for an 80 year old man.) :p