Elio Drive - Update

Dan Mosley

My brother-in-law came down today from Oregon and brought me some more wood - Pictures below -Brought down some Alder, alot of Maple and a large Maple burl.
He wanted to do some turning so I set up my hollowing rig and attached the new cutters that I bought from Brian McEvoy - In the other post I mentioned that i bought the Elio drive and turned up to 8" diameter vase. Today, we turned a large Walnut bowl 14" with a final diameter of around 12 1/2"...... I used the Elio drive on it as I was making a natural edge bowl. I adjusted the pins, put it in the headstock, held the blank up to it and secured the tailstock. I will admit I was a bit nervous about using this on this blank but it handled it fine with no slipping or problems. Overall, I am glad I bought it...............well worth the $40.00
I have no affiliation with Brian or his buss.

Brians website is: http://onegoodturn.ca/

Attachments

• Elio-8.jpg
    Elio-8.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Elio-10.jpg
    Elio-10.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Maple-1.jpg
    Maple-1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Maple-2.jpg
    Maple-2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Maple-3.jpg
    Maple-3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Maple-Burl.jpg
    Maple-Burl.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Rig-14.jpg
    Rig-14.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Rig-12.jpg
    Rig-12.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Rig-15.jpg
    Rig-15.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 71
  • Harbor-2.jpg
    Harbor-2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 82
That wood is no good. Its got moss on it and could be better used in my workshop. Just package it up and ship it here.

Nice vase by the way.

Glen.............LMAO.....ok you win on that

Bernie..........I have the DVD on deep hollowing - very good video and easy to understand........bought some tooling at the same time but have not tried it all out yet but so far they are working perfectly......
Let me know what you think of the other videos.....i thought about getting them but i haven't yet........

Mike - thanks....the bar is 1 1/2 inch diameter solid, I am guessing but probably just the bar and handle are 50lbs plus.....works good.....LOL

PS............I send Brian the link to family woodworking and I "think" he has joined up so if you need some questions answered im sure he would.

Dan I did a couple of his two piece bowls and it is sure a lot easier than hollowing them as one piece. You can sand the inside to 320 and smooth. I put a couple of coats of lacquer on the inside making sure not to get any on the glue joint. I have them drying from the finish. Really makes it simple. I already had the delta faceplates with the center hole to get them perfectly centered and turned to the same size. I haven't had time yet to watch the third video on the embellishments. Will let you know.