Incorporating the RAS into my shop.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Since I got that pile of plywood, and since I'm off for a couple of weeks, it just doesn't make sense to do a little work on the shop. I'd rather cut up those sheets of ply and make something out of it than move and store them some where.

I also have some other 'finer' projects coming up, and I'd just rather do them in a roomier and cleaner shop than what I currently have...

So, I cleaned out one wall of the shop and am doing some design work on how to best make use of it.

I figure I'll build a new cabinet to hold the RAS, and build a few flip top tables that I'll mount some of the bulkier bench top type tools on. I'll then make 'garage's to park the flipper cabs.

Here's a very rough idea of the layout, and a picture of the wall where everything will go....

Time to get the tape measure out and really start planning some of these things...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• shop_ras_2.jpg
    shop_ras_2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 166
  • shop_ras.jpg
    shop_ras.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 165
Going to incorporate any dust collection for the RAS? or ports on top for the items that will be used up on the bench?

attachment.php

:lurk:

Attachments

• dustcollection.jpg
    dustcollection.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 161
I like that dust collection idea. Spending today drawing up plans and will start cutting tomorrow I reckon.

I'm figuring I'm going to start with the RAS cabinet first and then the upper cabs. The bench top to the left will be a torsion box, so pretty simple.

I've had shelves pushed up against these walls, and that just doesn't work well for storing stuff because I have to have my tools on stands sitting in front. So I'm thinking with the dedicated garages for the tools, I'll clear up working space. When I need the planer, pull it out, flip it and use it. Same goes for other tools...

Not sure what you mean by ports?

Didn't know if any of the garaged tools would be used on top of that surface next to the RAS (such as a oscillating sander or such). Might be good to put an additional 2" port/dust gate on the back wall to hook up to any tools that your using up there.

I figured most of those tools would be on stands and wheeled out to be used, but I do like the idea of some smaller DC ports for doing sanding and such. I'll run some plumbing for them while I'm at it!.

Looks like a good plan. I've started something similar, Got the OSS and two belt/disc sanders on a roll out under the bench. Next will be the planer and one table saw set up just for box joint cutting. It is really handy to have most of the stuff on mobile bases and HF casters are a good buy, should hold up good if you keep them below 5 MPH and don't go more than a 1/4 mile.:rofl: Thanks for the tip and inspiration.:thumb: And also Merry Christmas.:wave:

Where your bandsaw is bothers me. Even if on wheels, I use mine so often that pulling it out would be highly impractical. If I were ever to rebuild a shop it would be designed around my lathe, bandsaw and tablesaw.

I agree with Frank. Those two items DP and Bandsaw have lots of space around them in my shop and they right behind my workbench. I would hate to be pulling them in and out for the number of times i go back to them. Brent i know you wannna get at it but i would hold the horses just a little to think it through before you cut and regret. Its got to be a first saying to you slow down eh.;):thumb: BTW i am speaking from a point of BTDT .:)

Yeah, the BS is rotated oddly in that pic. It will be facing so I could use it directly for small stuff where it is. But the fact of the matter is everything has to be on the perimeter, or else It'd be in the way when I wasn't using it.

On the upside, I think I will get started on the upper cabs and the RAS stand tomorrow. Might need to do a little rewiring on the RAS, but boy it fires up and runs smooth, and the glides easily...

Is this better?

attachment.php

Attachments

• shop_ras_3.jpg
    shop_ras_3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 151
Where your bandsaw is bothers me. Even if on wheels, I use mine so often that pulling it out would be highly impractical. If I were ever to rebuild a shop it would be designed around my lathe, bandsaw and tablesaw.

I agree with Frank. Those two items DP and Bandsaw have lots of space around them in my shop and they right behind my workbench. I would hate to be pulling them in and out for the number of times i go back to them.

Well, My shop isn't that big and I don't have a lot of extra room to put those two items. They've been lined up like soldiers blocking my shelves for years already, so I'm used to pulling them out to use them.

I figure worse case scenario, if I reorganize and gain a ton of extra room :)rolleyes:), I could always put them somewhere else and build another cab where they are in the picture.

I don't think it would affect the design or position of the RAS at all. Where the ras is now, I can get 14' to the left of the blade (if I move the rolling tool cab), and unlimited to the right, assuming I move all of the other stuff out of the way and can open the door...

Rob, Do you have a picture of how you have yours setup? Heck, I've even got my bench up against a wall. But maybe I need to rethink that as well.

I should probably even put the shorter rails on my table saw and maybe make a smaller bench, now that I think about it...

And this wall is only phase one. Once I get this done, I'm planning on attacking the other wall in the garage...

Brent, that certainly is more better for those quickie small cuts on the bandsaw.
I understand lack of space. Using the Grizzly shop layout tool, I have found that my tools will not fit in my shop. :confused:

You guys do have me thinking though if I really need the long rails on my saw, or the enormous heavy workbench I've got.

Since I don't break down sheet goods on my table saw, or do long cross cuts, I'm not sure why I even have the long rails. That could save me some room and let the TS sit in the middle of the shop.

If I had a smaller workbench, (well, first I wouldn't be storing all the junk on it like I do) I could use that as an outfeed for the table saw. and I could use the wall where it sits for storage...

Oh well, That's more of a long term project I guess and I'll just stick to this in the short term.

Thanks for the advice!

Brent my saw just stands away from the wall with he C back to it. So i approach it when cutting with my body parallel to the wall so stock that is getting cut is running through the blade parallel to the wall.

Because of a cupboard i have it has to stand quite a bit away for me to get at it and keep my body to the left hand side.

One of the reasons i built the Schwarz $175 workbench design was because it was a suitable size for a small shop.

See if i was a gazillion dollar lotto winner well space would be no problem. But i have an interest and incline to wanna do anything and everything related to tools and machines.

But I am coming round to accepting that i am not planning on being or ever plan to be a cabinet maker en mass. So why set up shop as if you were one. In reality i get a great more pleasure out of the hand stuff but need the power tools for the obvious precision and speed where neccessary.

There is a lot to be said for Stus dungeon in terms of getting us guys with smaller space shops to come round to thinking through what we need to enjoy our hobby and what space and layout a machine needs around it.

I know you love this RAS but does it have to be the be all and end all of your shop? It hogs space just like my dewalt compound 12 in mitre saw, which by the way is now found its place on the floor and soon to find its place on a sale list.

Just observing what some guys do with their table saw and getting more familiar with my saw not in a careless way but making sure its setup properly etc and having sleds etc i am finding its my go to machine and between it and the bandsaw again properly setup i dont really see the need for this chop saw.

Now if i was a guy earning my living by doing cabinet work and installing fancy moulding, well i would need to cut moulding like Chuck does in long lengths and then i would have a full length shop fence table arrangement like Larry has. But for the odd time i might need that even if i was doing the once in a lifetime kitchen upgrade like Tom well what the heck turn the table saw sideways for that job or haul out a mitre saw or ras.

I started out with this "ideal" setup in mind. But have moderated my outlook each time i am in the shop.

Realistically we just cannot have it all. Glenn is another huge inspiration to me if you look at his policy of having a place for everything that is convenient.

I am starting to get to the point where productivity is a goal. I dont mean corporate factory type nutty productivity, but it gets tired when you have to wheel it out each time for a cut whatever it is.

So now i am slowly letting some machines be and not worring to much about pushing them back out the way.

Next i will worry about getting them in more suitable places. I am still walking from one end of the shop to the other to do a task. This is getting tired and i will soon move the machines into more order.

Its easier for the guys who have been trained and schooled in woodworking for a living. They have been at it and know.

This is where i tell my son, "Yeah you know do you, well you might know of something but you dont really know how the heck to do it"
There is a difference between the drawing all neat and workable and the reality of how you end up doing something.

I have got better at my woodwork because i have taken to accepting to do more pratice cuts and that means back and forth to the machines.

Yeah there are guys like Alan that make up a list and can cut then mill then cut again and then assemble all from plan or design of his own.

I still have to take it slow and think it through.

I think my shop layout needs to be different to his.

You might want to consider some of this. I aint saying you in my beginner league but if you looking at space utilization you still need to get around in your shop.

BTW i have two or three books on setting up shop, trouble is they all done by pros and the guys have forgotten how it was to be learning. So my experiences are iterative. That way when i have done it I know why and i have that aha moment which is a real high.

Good luck Brent.

Hey is that peggboard you got against the wall?

Good luck Brent.

Hey is that peggboard you got against the wall?

Thanks Rob!

Yeah, I'm really jealous of the guys that have room to have pegboard. Just got back from town picking up supplies. Going to get started soon!

I like pegboard for the kinds of tools and supplies that you like to keep handy, but that never seem to get put away correctly.

As far as the RAS goes, well there's a couple of reasons I want it. 1) It's got some sentimental value for Sharon and Me as it was her dads, and It's a good ole tool that I'd like to see get some more use. My Miter saw will be put in storage and used when I need something on site other places to do things (Like when I get back to building the shed).

So the RAS will be my primary cross cutting device. My dad had a RAS when I was a kid and I've always liked the versatility of the em. I'm not going hog wild on a long cutting table, and the cutting table will do double duty for the RAS, the Mortiser, and other general tasks.

I've got a lot of lumber that's 10' long. Sure I could just use a circular saw to break it down, but where's the fun in that!

I totally agree about productivity, and that's one reason I'm undertaking this reorg... The way things are now, I pretty much have to move everything around for every operation. If I can consolidate and get stuff stored properly, It will free up a bunch of space for me and I'll be able to work much more efficiently.

:thumb:

Understand that this is purely an opinion on my part, but pegboard isn't for me. I thought it would be, but then I started thinking about how I would store stuff, and that meant buying hooks and other forms of storage.

I'm going with the french cleat system. Infinite number of possibilities, plus you can make your own storage out of scrap for exactly what you want and need. A half sheet of ply would probably take care of that space you have there for both parts of the system.

My plan is to make 5" strips, then cut them down the middle at 45 and you have either both halves or two sections to put up on the wall. If you make more than you need, all you have to do to make new tool holders is cut to length one of your surplus sections with your RAS or miter and voila - new storage.

Personally, for versatility it can't be beat IMO. After the holidays I hope to build my battery caddy for all my 18v tools. Just something to think about.

Working on the RAS Table

So spent some time on the RAS table today. Had to rethink the way I was going to build it since the support posts are kind of oddly place.

I decided since I'm never going to use it for ripping, and will probably only rarely move it off of 90, That I would build it with a fixed rear and front table.

I took two pieces of 3/4 MDF and cut dadoes through just big enough for some 1/4-20 allthread.

I'm going to use the allthread, some threaded inserts, and wingnuts to rig up a way to clamp the fence against the front table. The wing nuts will be at the back of the table and will run through the channel and clamp the fence in place. Harder to describe, but I figure I'll have pictures of it pretty much completed tomorrow.

Here's a pic of where I am now. The table has been glued up and is still in on piece. I needed to do it like this to make sure all of the holes line up right in the support posts below. And the do. Next step is to dismantle it and cut out the channel for the fence.

It looks pretty narrow right now, but that's only because it will have support tables on either side of it. It's a turret type RAS, so it does not rotate from the back, but rather right over the middle of the table. Just saying that it will be able to handle any angled cuts with only this amount of width.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-2272.jpg
    FWW-2272.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 40
The Multiplex Saws had a fixed front table, and a fixed rear table. They used wedges behind the fence to keep the fence in place.

attachment.php

Attachments

• multiplextable.jpg
    multiplextable.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 37