Busy, Busy, Busy

Drew Watson

Well I have just come up for some air but have three more gifts left to make for Christmas. With my sister and nephew up from Australia I had to make them something to take back that wasn't too big or heavy. Oh and there is one bird house finished off in this lot too. I did the big box for my son who reminds me that I have never given him the first of anything I have made ( gave the youngest something once and it obviously didn't sit well with the oldest.lol) So he gets the first one of these. It is cherry top and bottom and horse chestnut body. I did some tops for all the kids stockings and made them each a harry potter magic wand and then made my sister a small box out of a couple of glued up blocks of maple. The orniment is for her too.

Attachments

• Christmas gifts 008 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas gifts 008 - Copy.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Christmas gifts 015 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas gifts 015 - Copy.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Christmas gifts 016 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas gifts 016 - Copy.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Christmas gifts 017 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas gifts 017 - Copy.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Christmas gifts 018 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas gifts 018 - Copy.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Drew, I missed out on this one for some reason...and I really missed out. That's some good stuff dude...I really like that box, but the tops are amazing!! I know how you feel...my sister might make it here for Christmas and I'm stupid falling over myself...made a great pen and box...;)
You did good!!! Anyone would be happy with a gift from your heart! :santa:

I just finished off the other kids gift but can't get a pic of it till later as the kids are arguing in the next room about how they argue:dunno: Really it is priceless:rofl::rofl: Anyways I will get a pic and post it later. Only 2 more gifts to think up and make and 5 bird house decorations to get finished off by tomorrow. One gift is going to be a candy dish top sit next to a computer for my step father and the other is the difficult one as it is for my other nephew in Australia that I have only seen twice. Might just scrap the turning idea and get him a T shirt.

Thanks I had my issues about that box as we had a little fight and I won !! :rofl: Coloring the tops is easy Cynthia, Felt markers, then buff them with a wax and it makes them easy to clean with no color transfer ( or so they say) As these are the first ones I have done I am putting them to the test. :thumb:

All the gifts are great but I have to agree with some of the others and give you an extra :thumb::thumb::thumb: on the tops.
Dennis

Ok as promised here is the pic of the box that I just finished off. I tried out something that I have wanted to do for some time with the feet. It was interesting to say the least. I think I need a spindal sander if i was going to do more of them like this.

Attachments

• Christmas box 003 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas box 003 - Copy.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Christmas box 005 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas box 005 - Copy.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 4
Drew you sure got the spinny thing down pat. And if that birdhouse was your first then you darn good. :thumb:

How about Yo yo's about time that craze was recycled again.

I see LV has some nice Yo Yo kits

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49920&cat=1,250,43243,50237

or this one will give you an idea of how to make the less sophisticated ones.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32800&cat=1,250,43233,43235

I will give one of your tops a try thanks for the inspiration.:thumb:

Thanks for the link Rob but I have some plans to build some yo-yo's from scratch that i want to try out. Good old fashioned wooden yo-yo's. Nothing fancy.

The tops are lots of fun to make. I used a chatter tool that I made to decorate them and then the felts. They are great for kids to play with and they don't need batteries or a computer hook up. The big top spins for a real long time too.

Well It took a good part of the day to get this last gift done. I said I wanted to make a candy dish for my step father's computer desk. Part just thinking what to do and this is what I came up with. The body is a glue up of black walnut and maple and the lid and foot ( with a captive ring because I can now:D ) is made up of a chunk of walnut that I won as a door prize from out club. I am wiped and this is the last year that I am doing this :rolleyes:...... till next year. :rofl::rofl:

Merry Christmas to all.:santa: