A puppy for Christmas?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, about 6:30 I went out to get a beer, and what did I see on the back patio? A puppy. Literally. A little puppy staring me in the eyes. Friendly. Ran up to me.

Where we live I can't imagine it's one of the neighbors, but we'll put the fliers out tomorrow.

No collar of course. Tail appears to have been docked. He looks to have been neutered? At least I can't see anything on him...

I'm guessing someone did a little drive on Christmas eve and dumped him....

Needs a bath... And probably a name....

I'm thinking 'Santas Little helper'

attachment.php

Attachments

• puppy_new.jpg
    puppy_new.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 173
Santa's little helper! Cute face. Strange that a pup that someone paid to have neutered would be tossed out. Hopefully someone visiting a relative or friend and the pup got out of the yard when they weren't looking. If you find the owner, read them the riot act about collars and tags. If you can't find the owner, try a local vet's office and have them scan for a microchip. Jim.

Yeah, He's never been on a leash that's for sure.

I'm guessing 3-4 months old?

I'll print up some flyers and put them around the neighborhood tomorrow.

But you have to understand, it's not like we live in a 'neighborhood'. Houses are pretty far apart out here. I'm guessing someone dropped him off here because we have two houses right across from each other and they though it would give him more of a chance. With the coyotes out here, He wouldn't last the night, thats for sure...

At any rate, if we don't find his owner by monday, he'll be getting a trip to the vet to get checked for chips, and if none, to probably get a checkup and whatever shots we can't be sure he did or didn't get...

(I really shouldn't be talking like we are going to keep him after less than an hour, but I really don't think he ran away from the neighbors...)

Bucky's doing great. The puppy is running her ragged and teaching her some manners :rofl: :rofl:

It's definitely making for a humorous Christmas Eve... :thumb: :rofl:

Ahh, and what great timing. We've got brand new carpet and what is almost assuredly a non-house-trained puppy.... :doh:

Anyone wanna take any bets on the puppy leaving a couple of presents under the tree? :p Santa's Little Helper indeed.

He slept quietly in the crate all by himself last night. Sure is a friendly little guy.

No accidents yet, but I'm sure it's bound to happen.

Santa's little helper! Cute face. Strange that a pup that someone paid to have neutered would be tossed out...

Unfortunately, Jim, that's not the case. Here, where job losses have been pretty heavy, there's been a rash of pets being abandoned, or turned over to animal welfare groups, just because folks can't afford to keep them any more.

I know - it's a shame - a crime, actually - to do that, and many of the abandoned animals fare very badly, but it's happening a lot. We're on the fringe of rural - not nearly like Brent and Sharon, but still out a bit - and we see dogs and cats that've been 'dropped off in the country' a lot.

That pup that found Brent is very lucky. He's either goning to find his home again if he was truly lost, or else he's gonna get a really good new home with Brent. Maybe you oughtta name him "Lucky," Brent!

Day 2 - We tried to convince ourselves last night that he wasn't a puppy, but actually, maybe our neighbors dog. We'll still give them a call a little later to check, but this morning's activities confirms he is a puppy. Had a bath. Enjoying himself a bit too much. This day has LONG written all over it. :rofl:

I would give the neighbors a call now. I know I would like to know ASAP if one of my boys ran off for the night. That he was safe and sound.:thumb:

Going to go put the signs up right now.

If it was the neighbors they would have been here already. The ones across the street have 3-4 dogs already and the next closest neighbor, 1/2 mile away has been here several times looking for THEIR yellow lab Tank.

That's why I really don't think it's a runaway. For a puppy this small, the distances are pretty big and the coyotes were out in full force last night. Could hear them all over the valley.

But prepared to get my heart broken when I go to the mail box. It's kind of the community bulletin board..