A puppy for Christmas?

Unfortunately, Jim, that's not the case. Here, where job losses have been pretty heavy, there's been a rash of pets being abandoned, or turned over to animal welfare groups, just because folks can't afford to keep them any more.

I know - it's a shame - a crime, actually - to do that, and many of the abandoned animals fare very badly, but it's happening a lot. We're on the fringe of rural - not nearly like Brent and Sharon, but still out a bit - and we see dogs and cats that've been 'dropped off in the country' a lot.

That pup that found Brent is very lucky. He's either goning to find his home again if he was truly lost, or else he's gonna get a really good new home with Brent. Maybe you oughtta name him "Lucky," Brent!

Thanks Jim for the kind words! I can definitely see someone in a bad situation not wanting to drop the dog off at a shelter and thinking what better time than Christmas eve to drop a dog off in the country. I won't judge them that harshly. Our house is pretty well lit up and from the road I'm sure it made an inviting 'target'.

Brent people travel during this time of year. Most don't take pets with them so you may want to give the local PD a call. Because if that pup slipped his collar and run off on a pet sitter they are not going to know the neighbors to call they are going to call the PD in hopes of finding the dog before the owners get home.

Registered a "Found Dog" report with Animal services. Will run him down on monday to get scanned for a chip.

No Chip/No owner, we will keep him... :thumb:

Gotta follow the rules. I know I'd hate it if bucky got loose and someone didn't do the same.

But I still think he was dumped...

Can't resist. Bucky thinks this is the best Christmas Present Ever...

They are getting along great, but the cats are having a protest and refuse to come out of hiding...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• web_20101225-IMG_1608.jpg
    web_20101225-IMG_1608.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 118
  • web_20101225-IMG_1627.jpg
    web_20101225-IMG_1627.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 118
OK, Rennie wins the thread, or at least this page of the thread. :rofl:

Brent, Bucky does look like she's having a great time. :thumb: The cats are obviously ticked off, since you have shifted the balance of their universe in an irretrievable manner. They are secretly plotting your death as a result of it. :rolleyes:

I don't understand what the big mystery about this is. This was obviously a gift left for you by Santa Paws.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bwahahahahaha! :thumb: :rofl: :rofl:

OK, Rennie wins the thread, or at least this page of the thread. :rofl:

Brent, Bucky does look like she's having a great time. :thumb: The cats are obviously ticked off, since you have shifted the balance of their universe in an irretrievable manner. They are secretly plotting your death as a result of it. :rolleyes:

I thought that was just the nature of cats to plot their escape and the demise of their owners! I'm sure they just don't like the balance of power shifting!

Here's an oldie but a goodie...

EXCERPTS FROM & DOG & CATS DIARY:
Excerpts from a Dog's Diary*

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary*:

Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre
little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the
other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I
nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an
attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it
clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely
made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I
am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what
this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try
this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.
The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The
bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the
guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My
captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell,
so he is safe, for now..........

Well, I did take him down to the Animal services today to get scanned for a chip.

No chip, and no lost dog inquiries matching his description.

I told the lady behind the counter I wasn't going to leave him there and she was fine with that, but said that if I wanted to 'officially' adopt him, that I'd have to take him back in and they would have to hold him for 5 days...:eek:

(Then unofficially let me know that since I'm out in the 'uncongested' area of the county and don't need to license my dogs, that well, if I never came back, they wouldn't come looking for me...)

So they've got my name and number and Logan (That's his name now) has his mug shot up on pet harbor.

The cat's still aren't sure about the whole deal. He's finally seen them and doesn't seem too aggressive about them, so that's a good thing...

That's great news! We have bassets and you CANNOT have just one - the big guy :rofl: wailed in lonliness when he was the last dog standing. And the shehound is so codependent on him that she does not know what to do if he goes anywhere without her..... Somewhere along the line we'll have to introduce the 3rd dog (which violates the 2 dog rule) to make sure there's not a loner again. The kids are gone and we both work, so it's not fair to the critters.
I guess I just "outed us" as dogpeople!:D
mj

Yeah, we were a two dog family for quite a while. A Good ole black lab boy (Indy) and a little black lab/german shorthair mutt (Xena). Good kids, but they got old, as dogs will do, and left us far too soon. We got Bucky right after Xena left and she got to play with Indy for a while.

Bucky is kind of a high strung dog, and we thought we'd just scale back to the one dog kind of routine. Found a stray cat in a dumpster in a campground, and a family member dumped another cat off on us, so we figured another dog was out of the question.

But apparently Santa Claws saw differently, and left a little black bundle of Border Collie/Australian Sheperd mix on our back doorstep...

Guess we're up to 2 dogs and 2 cats now. That's probably enough for now, but then it appears I'm not really making these decisions anymore... :rofl:

That is true Brent. We are at 6 right now, but that is temporary. Only 2 are ours. 2 are fosters that are of the age that they will spend their last days here. And 2 others we are keeping for a friend that adopted them from us, does foster work for us. Their house burned Christmas Eve, and we offered to help. They will only be here until rental property is found.
Glad the 2 dogs are getting along. Jim.

Just thought I'd give an update.

Logan seems to be fitting right in. Loves his big sis, doesn't chase the cats. Loves his momma.

He's been given all his shots, tutored, and we are taking him to puppy training classes...

Getting better at being house trained, but not 100% reliable yet...

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-2275.jpg
    FWW-2275.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 62
Just thought I'd give an update.

Logan seems to be fitting right in. Loves his big sis, doesn't chase the cats. Loves his momma.

He's been given all his shots, tutored, and we are taking him to puppy training classes...

Getting better at being house trained, but not 100% reliable yet...

attachment.php

Really happy that Logan is doing so well. Congrats. BTW, what's he being tutored in? Computer programming? Woodworking? Cooking? English? :rofl: :rofl: