Hollowing and hole boring question

Dan Mosley

Today I had a part of the day free to do some turning. Before I had to rush around and finish off buying Christmas stuff. So, I put up a large round hunk of Walnut and cut it round the best that I could. Then mounted it up and started truing it up. It started at about 15" diameter and 19" long. However, as i started to turn it at low speed (under 200) I noticed it had a thick amount of sap wood to cut thru. The final diameter turned out to be 9" diameter and 18 1/4 long.
I ran out of time so, I lightly sprayed it with soap mixture/water and wrapped it with seran wrap and left it on the lathe.

Question: I use a 2 1/2 - 3" Forestner bit (saw tooth type) usually to bore a hole to depth prior to hollowing but I usually struggle with it because it freezes up as i bore even if I only do a little at at time and pull it out frequently.
Anybody, out there know a more effective way to bore with the forestner bit method ???? How fast are you drilling at ??

Ohh and i know some do not do it this way but I perfer using the forestner bit to bore.

Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Log-1.jpg
    Log-1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Log-2.jpg
    Log-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Log-3.jpg
    Log-3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
A bit that's 2 1/2" to 3" in diameter needs to be very sharp and lubricated to make it through that much end grain. I generally use something more in the 3/4" to 1" range, and if it's end grain I prefer to use a spade bit. (And if I dull it too much I can just toss it.) I generally stay in the 500 to 700 rpm range when drilling on the lathe.

Like you, I prefer to start with a drilled hole, but I find I can enlarge a 1" hole to 3" with sharp hollowing tools faster than I can drill the 3" hole.

I agree the hollowing is faster - I got some other interesting replys on AAW on the same topic - im thinking ill drill down to depth - hog it out by hand down to close to the bottom and then use the saw tooth 3" for the last small bit of hole drilling - ill have to try it and see - I like using the saw tooth bit I have from Irwin it makes a perfect flat smooth bottom every time.
Thanks..................

Hollowing Vessel Thin

Decided to try out hollowing with the rig I made that uses lighting from the inside. First pc I cut so thin it went thru the wall (see picture #1).
What did I learn ??......The error I made was not clearing out the chips frequently - they stuck to the inside and I mistakenly thought the area was thick and took another cut to thin it down - it went right thru the side :eek:.......on to the firewood pile.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well.........................

Then on to the next that is a strong 16th but almost see thru (picture #2). I was just playing around to test out the cutting tips and cutters with the light on inside. As far as turning thin "Im over it" I can do it but I like them a bit thicker (see picture #3).

Attachments

• Cluster-2.jpg
    Cluster-2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Thin-1.jpg
    Thin-1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Cluster-1.jpg
    Cluster-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: