Christmas gift

My dad gave me his hand plane for Christmas. He knew that I was wanting it when he was done with it. It is a Dunlap 4Dbb. I took some pics but the barreries died so will post some pics later. He has had this plane for at least 50 years. It needs a good sharpening (must be from some little kid playing with it) and cleaning. It appears that it may be adjusted wrong as the holder to adjust the depth of cut doesn't line up with the opening in the sole. It is about a 1/8th" back. I will see about getting a book that shows how to properly sharpen and adjust the plane. I know from doing some reading that this is not a top of the line brand, but it was dads so it is just great. I also have a 2 man saw that he bought in 1934 or 1935. They will hang on my shop wall.

Rex, in my book, that's a great gift. You have to love it when tools get passed down from generation to generation. :thumb: :thumb:

I don't have any tools, but I do have a few other items passed down from my dad that mean quite a lot. I think that's quite a special thing.

I also find the RAS and 46' Chevy we had passed down to us from Sharons Father to be pretty special too....

Well now that I have new batteries in the camera I was able to download the pics. They are not that good. I talked to dad today and found out that he bought the plane in 47 or 48 so it was around before I came along.

Attachments

• 003 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    003 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 004 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    004 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 005 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    005 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 006 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    006 (600 x 450)plane.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 31
You're too hard on yourself, those pics are just fine.

That plane looks to be in pretty good condition to my untrained eyes!

That's a great family heirloom you have there!

Your #4 sized plane was made for Sears - most likely by Sargent - and was part of Sears 'homeowner' line of tools.

Now that you've taken the blade out of it, you've probably seen the two screws that hold the frog (that red part) to the bed. Loosen the two screws and slide the frog forward or back until the blade goes thru the mouth without interference, but with as small an opening as possible at the front - about 1/64"~1/32" is about right. That, along with a nicely sharpened blade, ought to give you a very nice performing plane - one that'll live on for another several generations of Bloems. ;)

Oh yeah, just in case you've forgotten :D, the blade goes into the plane with the bevel down.:rolleyes: