Finishing a new wood floor

Tom Hoffman

I am going to lay down 1X12's for a new wood floor in our new kitchen. What is the hardes most durable floor finish. I want a high gloss and since we are using pine, mild ambering is OK too.

Your ideas or direction will be very helpful...

Tom...:)

My dining room has wide pine floors. It gets lots of traffic all day since it is in the center of the house and connects all the rooms downstairs. Mine is finished with poly and has to be refinished often. It's worth it because the floor is beautiful and fits into the early American style of our decor. The grandkids toys and the dogs nails chew it up pretty well but a light recoat of stain and poly brightens it right up. I should do it about every 6 months.

My dining room has wide pine floors. It gets lots of traffic all day since it is in the center of the house and connects all the rooms downstairs. Mine is finished with poly and has to be refinished often. It's worth it because the floor is beautiful and fits into the early American style of our decor. The grandkids toys and the dogs nails chew it up pretty well but a light recoat of stain and poly brightens it right up. I should do it about every 6 months.

i have seen bobs floor and agree it fits well with his decor,, and on your thought for ahight gloss i think yu will be sorry on that..high gloss isnt whats it cracked up to be.. if you get a nick or scratch yur gonna see every one in a high gloss and not so many in a satin or semi gloss finish..before you take the plunge on high gloss go see a real floor that has been used with high gloss.. then make your decision..just my opinion, and we know that isnt much:D

What about using shellac?

It's not as durable or water resistant as poly, but it's sure a lot easier to re-coat or spot repair, since each new coat melds with the old one rather than just sticking to the top of it.

Shellac has been used as a floor finish for a couple hundred years, and was also one of the 'standard' floor finishes up until the poly stuff came along.

I also just used the PRO finish by PARKS this year on a refinished floor.

It was also the best price !

Got mine at HD.

I have had exxellent resullts with Hood industries gym floor finish. t is waterbourne and dries quick. We use it in the hotels on the high wear wood parts. Last time I did it was two years ago(which is exxellentfor them). We also use it on household floors. It dries quick and builds up nice.

Thank you everyone. I have had high gloss and semi gloss floors in other homes. My new kitchen cabinets that I am making are done with Semi Gloss. I am not to pleased with that look. I have done a mission bed with white oak and high gloss and my wife and I both like that look. I guess if I don't like the look, I can always scuff it up and put down semi gloss.

We will see.

Have a pleasant New Years Eve...