Purchasing new lathe soon

Adam Alloway

I am wondering what lathe to get. I have been using my turncrafter 10" swing lathe for a while now and the motor and wing is to small for which I want to do.

I have found two lathes I that have what is want at woodcraft.

This is the link to the Rikon.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005433/32793/Rikon-20x37-Woodfast-Lathe-Model-70425.aspx

Jet

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...2-Wood-Lathe-Pro-Model-JWL1642EVS-112-HP.aspx

I see very little differences in them besides one is slightly cheaper.

Any recommendations?

For some reason, when I look at the information on the Rikon I get the information on the jet? They are so close in specs, I think it would be a matter of color choice between the two.

On various forums Rikon seems to be a love/hate situation. Lots of folks with problems.
The Jet is a consistent favorite of many.
As suggested do consider the Grizzly.
I am enormously happy with my G0632. However, the newer G0698 seems to outdo it in features and about the same price.

That is a good lathe too Chuck but from the size that he is looking at I think this is a bettre direct drive system. The 162444 is still belt adjust to change speeds.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005485/22172/Nova-DVR-XP-Lathe.aspx

Of course I am bias as I have the DVRXP with the cast stand and outrigger and have tried a couple of the others. The powermatic is a great machine too and our club just purchased one.

I looked at that Drew :thumb::thumb: But went with the other just to keep the price down:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Not for me for the thread.

Totally understand Chuck:thumb: I know that price was a huge concern for me too. I was looking at the smaller one at first but the legs are really light and I was told that some lathes are so light they will walk all over the place while turning bigger or off center stuff. I have looked at posts of people using sand bags and cement bags to add the weight to the lathe just to hold them down. I was also advised that if your going to spend that kind of money to get something that you will not be wanting to replace in a few years. and I was lucky to get a great deal on the DVRXP with the stand, Nova 2 chuck and out rigger included for 1999.00. The cast stand is heavy enough to keep the lathe from moving around the shop. Very similar to the stand the powermatic has.

I'm a bit confused about the description of the Rikon. The heading says it's a 20" x 36" lathe, and the description (and photo) seem to match the Jet. I'm guessing the 16" x 42" spec is the correct one. I've not used either lathe, but I'd assume they share a common origin in Asia. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably be leaning toward the Jet, just because they seem to have a longer history of good customer service after the sale. I also think the 18" Grizzly would be worth considering, here again because of the seller's reputation for service as much as for the lathe itself.

If the DVR is in your price range, it's another worthy contender. It has a few unique qualities that may or may not appeal to your needs and wants. What may be an advantage to one user might be a detriment to another. The Nova 16" has a great reputation and loyal users, but in my opinion it's still not in the same league as any of the variable speed lathes in the same size range.

Any of the lathes mentioned will be a fun step up from the mini lathe you've been using. :thumb:

Drew, I doubt there are any under $5000.00 lathes that won't do a dance with a large out of round hunk spinning on them.
Mass and weight are good for any machine. Adding sandbags to a lathe can reduce vibration. Not always needed but, IMHO, still a good thing. I increased the weight of my G0632 from about 500 lbs. to near 700 with sandbags.

Both lathes have outboard turning up to 20" and are 110 I rent so I don't want to add a 220 to the panel 110 add be enough work for me. I am going to look at them in person today.

I'm a bit confused about the description of the Rikon. The heading says it's a 20" x 36" lathe, and the description (and photo) seem to match the Jet. I'm guessing the 16" x 42" spec is the correct one. I've not used either lathe, but I'd assume they share a common origin in Asia. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably be leaning toward the Jet, just because they seem to have a longer history of good customer service after the sale. I also think the 18" Grizzly would be worth considering, here again because of the seller's reputation for service as much as for the lathe itself.

If the DVR is in your price range, it's another worthy contender. It has a few unique qualities that may or may not appeal to your needs and wants. What may be an advantage to one user might be a detriment to another. The Nova 16" has a great reputation and loyal users, but in my opinion it's still not in the same league as any of the variable speed lathes in the same size range.

Any of the lathes mentioned will be a fun step up from the mini lathe you've been using. :thumb:

Vaughn, I think they have the Jet information on the Rikon. The first line says:
"Product Information:
With 16" of swing and 42" of turning capacity between #2 MT centers, you'll appreciate the capacity on Jet's 16" x 42" Lathe. "

Drew, I doubt there are any under $5000.00 lathes that won't do a dance with a large out of round hunk spinning on them.
Mass and weight are good for any machine. Adding sandbags to a lathe can reduce vibration. Not always needed but, IMHO, still a good thing. I increased the weight of my G0632 from about 500 lbs. to near 700 with sandbags.

I actually have had a hunk of cedar log 18x18 x9 on the lathe ( with the head stock turned 90 to the bed and using the out rigger I turned it into a bowl blank with no movement at all on the lathe. Actually for all the things I have turned I have had no movement on the lathe and there have been lots that have been out of round. If it gets too bad the lathe seems to shut itself down.

OK it is done went to Hartville hardware and bought a general lathe. 16 inch swing 42 long, fwd and rev, a new chuck, and some other misc items that my dad and grandpa wanted it all came out to 2556.00.

Took 3 generations to pick out my new lathe grandpa, son, and grandson.