My Virginia Shop Thread

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: I'll be following along with interest, Ned. You're building a shop from scratch, and maybe I can learn something from you about how you lay out the tools. I also vote for the carport over the basement as a shop...just getting the tools in and out of there gives me the heebee jeebees. :eek: Are you moving down there no matter what happens with the job?

I'm in the carport camp. Would be my first choice if a new building could not be done. I wish I lived closer, I'd be there raising those walls!

As for the basement, a workbench, some hand tools and a few small power tools, drills, etc. This would be for the 'home fix' stuff. Nothing like running 100' in the pouring rain three times because you keep picking up the wrong size wrench.

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: I'll be following along with interest, Ned. You're building a shop from scratch, and maybe I can learn something from you about how you lay out the tools. I also vote for the carport over the basement as a shop...just getting the tools in and out of there gives me the heebee jeebees. :eek: Are you moving down there no matter what happens with the job?
Cynthia,
this is ... Let's see my Third shop build... counting the shared shop I had with my Mentor John: the Shop Majal, my Backyard shop and this upcoming build.

And yes, I'll be moving no matter what, this would just move up the migration from 'when the house sells' to 'when I would need to start.'

I'm in the carport camp. Would be my first choice if a new building could not be done. I wish I lived closer, I'd be there raising those walls!

As for the basement, a workbench, some hand tools and a few small power tools, drills, etc. This would be for the 'home fix' stuff. Nothing like running 100' in the pouring rain three times because you keep picking up the wrong size wrench.

Thanks Rennie, same back atcha... I'd love to help with the kitchen reno.

Basement shop will have basic tools, Luckily I have a spare bench.

Id say raise the walls, and expand to the full Size, you wont regret it.

I'm leaning that way Don, except that I am really thinking about at least a part time screen porch.

...except that I am really thinking about at least a part time screen porch.

Personally, I would wall in the whole thing and call it mine. ;)

But if you want a screen porch, then you can have one. Even just the carport side could be pretty nice space and a fair increase in size over your current shop, no?

Ned, I vote carport myself. Enclose the whole thing. If a screened porch is in the thoughts, a lean to roof at less of an angle than the current roof off the roof where the current porch/sitting area is, looks like enough yard there, pavers, stamped concrete, whatever, screen and wallah (sp?) you got both!! :thumb:

I'll echo what others have said...take it all. Maybe pull up the bluestone and use it for a patio out side of that area, pour a new smooth slab in it's place for easy clean-up.

Looks like you've got room above to perhaps build out a loft for storage in the center. If it were me I'd have the inside of the rafters shot with spray foam 1) for insulation 2) to control any condensation you may get off of that roof.

Ned, I vote carport myself. Enclose the whole thing. If a screened porch is in the thoughts, a lean to roof at less of an angle than the current roof off the roof where the current porch/sitting area is, looks like enough yard there, pavers, stamped concrete, whatever, screen and wallah (sp?) you got both!! :thumb:

Hi,

I'm with Johnathan on this. I do not question the fact that you will want, desire, feel it is absolutely essential, etc. to have the shop the size of the roof. You are going to "need" it sooner or later so why not do it in one feld swoop. The screened porch would be a relatively easy addition to the full sized shop.

It would be much easier to set the shop size in one step than to expand the inside part at a later date. It would probably be less expensive (notice I did not say "cheaper") also.

From experience I tell you to put in an electric sub-panel with more capacity than you think you will need---you will need it!

I wish you the very best on this. It would be fun to come and help. However, that is one heck of a commute.

Enjoy,

Jim

all great ideas... I'll have to $ee what the Budget hold$ in $tore for me.

I'd be 'happy' with 2x6 with that Burl stuff on it for the fill panels, then clapboards as I could afford them...

There is No doubt I'll use the entire footprint, the question is how to close in the patio... how much, how 'well' (had an 'aha' moment... and thought that if I screened in the patio (or at least the two open sections without the bracing) I could then build some 'storm door' panels to close it in for the winter.. best of both worlds... open air woodworking when I want it, and warm when "Winter" shows up.

Jonathan,
those pavers are photogenic, but I'm not all that fond of them otherwise...

Art, just the carport side would be just about the Same as what I have now... so I'm jonesing for the extra space...

Darren,
I do have that shed, but yeah, something will go overhead, question is what and how much can I 'get away with' up there.

Jim,
Yeah... those 3000 mile commutes are murder.

Last edited:
Ned,

I'd vote for the carport too, but not for the screening. I have the impression the new place is somewhere in east Virginia? Not too much snow, most years, but lots of thunderstorms. And when it's rainy and windy like like, the rain comes through screening, even if there's a good overhang, like it wasn't even there. Worse, you *will* get sawdust on that screening, and it will look like heck, no matter what you do, you won't get it all off, and then it'll rain, and all that sawdust will get wet, and musty, and moldy. Don't ask me how I know about screen porch woodworking in east virginia... :rofl:

Seriously, clear stretched 6 mil plastic, well framed and anchored, covering three sides, would be far better. You could enclose that space for less than a hundred bucks, and get at least 3 1/2 seasons of woodworking in every year. By the time you needed to replace the plastic two or three years on, you'd have a much better idea of what you want to do...

Thanks,

Bill

I'm sure I'll need one, we're "in town", but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Famous last words! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

With thirty years worth of code changes, you'll likely need both structural and electric permits, which will likely require a lot of structural rework, and probably a new panel/sub-panel for the power.

Will that locale allow homeowners to do the work, or will it require licensed contractors? Some do; some don't.

(BTW, Ned, permits also usually have expiration dates - generally called deadlines. Considering your current shop is a three or four year work-in-progress :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: can you do that? :D :D :D )

Ned,

I'd vote for the carport too, but not for the screening. I have the impression the new place is somewhere in east Virginia? Not too much snow, most years, but lots of thunderstorms. And when it's rainy and windy like like, the rain comes through screening, even if there's a good overhang, like it wasn't even there. Worse, you *will* get sawdust on that screening, and it will look like heck, no matter what you do, you won't get it all off, and then it'll rain, and all that sawdust will get wet, and musty, and moldy. Don't ask me how I know about screen porch woodworking in east virginia... :rofl:

Seriously, clear stretched 6 mil plastic, well framed and anchored, covering three sides, would be far better. You could enclose that space for less than a hundred bucks, and get at least 3 1/2 seasons of woodworking in every year. By the time you needed to replace the plastic two or three years on, you'd have a much better idea of what you want to do...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
Hadn't thought about the sawdust... Hmmm. Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking something a bit more substantial than 6mil to protect the tools from Walking Off...

Famous last words! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

With thirty years worth of code changes, you'll likely need both structural and electric permits, which will likely require a lot of structural rework, and probably a new panel/sub-panel for the power.

Will that locale allow homeowners to do the work, or will it require licensed contractors? Some do; some don't.

(BTW, Ned, permits also usually have expiration dates - generally called deadlines. Considering your current shop is a three or four year work-in-progress :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: can you do that? :D :D :D )

Jim... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. even if I can't do the work myself, my parents know a contractor who already has done work on the house, so the carport/shop won't be an issue.

Shops are supposed to be 'finished'? Really??

worked 4 tens this week, so I have a nice long weekend just before my last week with Costar.

Doing a bit of thinking about moving the shop, and have decided that as many of the smaller tools as I can take with me that I don't think i'll need up here in NY are going to go on the next trip;

• scroll saw
  • lathe
  • grinder
  • router
  • planer
  • bench Tops
  • kreg jig

I'm also going to take all of my pen blanks, as well as several turning blanks.

These will all go in the basement for now, as I've got a bunch of work on the carport before that is anything close to useable. (well the lathe and grinder are probably going on the back porch... (can you say temporary shop?)

I see a few pens turning up or out...:huh:... since you will be there without family to start...a temp shop on the porch sounds like a good idea. You could just sweep the shavings from the lathe outside...:thumb:

Hi gang!
It is moving day in just about 2 weeks. I've got another two round trips in the next two weeks... I have to work this coming 'weekend' (fri/sat), which means I leave thursday to collect my gear and get to the shoot friday by noon. Following that, I Hope to be working tue-thurs next week (july is painfully slow for church photos)... however if I don't have any schedule, I'll spend a day or two in Bridgewater then head back up to lakeport for my son's gradutation party and the Big move trip. Y'all Haul (ryder, etc... whomever has a truck available for best price) the following week.

Looks like we have just a 17' truck's worth of stuff, the majority of which is my shop, plus just two bedrooms' worth of furniture and some kitchen stuff. We're leaving the living room & kitchen intact for the boys (my eldest two sons are staying in NY for college)

I'm afraid that I'm going to be putting the shop in storage for a couple of months, with the slow times at work, finances won't allow me to re-fit the garage just yet, much as I would love to throw some walls back on the frame.

One of my 'jobs' when i get down to Bridgewater next week is to clear out the yellow shed next to the carport. once I get that emptied out, I'm going to stuff as much equipment as I can fit in there so that I have tools on site for the carport transformation. It is about 8x12, so I should be able to fit the tools in there, I doubt I'll be able to do any 'work' in there though.

Well, now I finally have a personal experience with the 'Moving as a Stressor' thing. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the process... but this move hasn't been quite as easy as I thought it would be. Latest glitch was that the sewer backed up this AM when I took a shower... Thankfully it was 'only' a shower and not (much) of other things. Naturally it is on Sunday... and since the only 'help' available that I/my parents have to call is already coming to the house tomorrow ANYway... think I'm going to call him and give him the heads up, but say we'll cope until then. In the mean-time we'll shower etc... up at my parents' house for a day.

On the 'shop' front, I moved a BUNCH of wood down, but will still wind up taking a trip up with my dad's SUV & Trailer to get the rest of my shop back down here... Possibly, if I'd gotten a 24' truck I could have brought it all, but with what we had to bring from the house, (where the heck was All of that stuff in such a small house anyway???) I settled for Tablesaw, Bandsaw , squirrel cage (for air filter) and my long lumber.

After the LOML and I got all of the wood out of the truck and loosely piled in the carport (hot, tired and under a deadline to return the truck) we discussed the next shop. Evidently I'm NOT going to be retrofitting the carport, she wants to have either a pole barn put in or a drag and drop 'shop' hauled in for me instead next spring. works for me! I'm going to be stubborn and at LEast have the lathe, and scrollsaw on the back porch for the fall/winter.

Bummer on the sewer backup Ned. With the age of house, it's probably tree roots in the line. If so get it ran out with the largest cutter the plumber (or yourself) can run through it and start a dose of Copper sulfate every few months will keep those critters from getting in there again. Had the same issue with my first house. started the copper sulfate after the second time and never had a problem again.

Congrats on the new shop, hope it pans out soon so you can start getting in some shop time again.