Empire card table

The flip top part of the table was missing so I made a new on. Problem is the table is 200 years old and sun bleached walnut. I ordered Crotch walnut veneer and made the rounded edge trip. Now matching up the old to the new.
I used 75% brown maple and 25% dark green in a little bit of lacquer sealer 1/2 cup of thinner. After the coloring I use Hickory and dark green to get the darks and then one more coat of the 75%/25% mixture.
The kicker was to get the veneer light enough to build it up. 3 times it was bleached with 2 part wood bleach. The colored with the 75/25 mixture and then raged off with thinner after which I did the coloring.
I think it turned out pretty good. I'll know when I see the customers face. :eek:

Care to guess which one is which.

Attachments

• IMAGE_229.jpg
    IMAGE_229.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAGE_228.jpg
    IMAGE_228.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 65
Al when you have a bleached out 200 year old table it takes a little knowledge and understanding of color, mixes and a good eye. It is still a challenge to me every time I get one of these. I usually never hit it on the 1st try. That's how I learned to use the wash out method. Removing finish and tainting the wood with tones.

dave show some pics of that all together and opned and closed up...folks i saw this in the rough stage and i can tell yu that it wasnt no where near in good condition.. had i been the one looking at it at a sale i would have tossed it out on the burn pile but dave would have slapped up side the head for doing it:)

Table is Finished and here are the pic's. The top table [flip table] is the top I made.

Attachments

• IMAGE_243.jpg
    IMAGE_243.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAGE_242.jpg
    IMAGE_242.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAGE_241.jpg
    IMAGE_241.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAGE_240.jpg
    IMAGE_240.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAGE_239.jpg
    IMAGE_239.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 26
Well Dave, I can't but admire your work and results, I'm pretty sure your customer will be delighted.

Finishing is something that many woodworkers don't like, or don't know well and a bad finish can spoil a piece, not this case of course.

dave yu need to get a better camera,, those pics are nice but they dont do your work justice.. cant believe those hinges worked so well.. how did yu deal with the different thickness of the two tops?

Larry it was really no problem. The hinges only allow the 2 table to attach one way. You really can not tell the difference. The extra thickness give the top much more stability.
I do need a better camera.

Last edited: