Snowing in Phoenix?

Well, less than a hundred miles north, we have a foot and a half! It finally quit. The sky is clearing. Now we'll see if the roads get plowed before tomorrow night.

Fortunately, the power only blipped on and off two or three times. House stayed warm.

We drove through Phoenix Wednesday ahead of the storm and could see to the north of us was getting nailed. I had wanted to go through Flagstaff instead of the southern route on I-10, but they were predicted to get a foot or more of snow Tuesday night. The weather caught up with us Thursday morning in Albuquerque. We got a few inches of snow, but nothing major. Now the cold will set in, and it's supposed to stay below freezing for the next few days. It was 19 degrees outside last I checked.

21° this morning. Nine degrees higher than predicted. Wonder if that is warm enough for the snow plow drivers? Snow quit the middle of yesterday afternoon.

Time to get the roads plowed, boys. It's New Year's Eve. Not that un-plowed roads will keep some folks at home!

And I have to go shovel the drive this morning. I have a haircut appointment. Vanity of vanities! Sighhhh...

21° this morning. Nine degrees higher than predicted. Wonder if that is warm enough for the snow plow drivers? Snow quit the middle of yesterday afternoon.

Time to get the roads plowed, boys. It's New Year's Eve. Not that un-plowed roads will keep some folks at home!

And I have to go shovel the drive this morning. I have a haircut appointment. Vanity of vanities! Sighhhh...

oh save yur money and get out the shears and go at it in frnt of a mirror carol.. your resourceful enough to figure out a jig to get the job done right:rofl::rofl:

This is a story my SIL wrote several years ago about their family's interaction with the "Flowbee"

Hair- raising tale about gadget guru

My husband belongs to the Order of the Knights of Gadget. My beloved is a gadgeteer, a great believer in the power of whats-its that allegedly save time, money and effort.

My husband, through squatters’ rights, now has full claim to an entire drawer in our kitchen for his galaxy of gadgets. He has a gadget for every cooking quandary. The miracle melon-ball scooper, the techno-jar lid opener, the slim-trim garlic press and cardamon cruncher in one.

In the code of the Knights of Gadget, any pre-dawn call from a friend is forgiven if it's to alert a fellow gadgeteer about a gadget-filled garage sale.

As members of a household with a card-carrying gadgeteer, I, my son and my daughter have learned that no matter how questionable we may think the powers of a particular gadget, the gadget has the right-of-way.

Our Knight of the Gadget still refuses to admit that his adored Flowbee left our son’s beautiful hair looking like a fairway recently trampled by a herd of buffalo.

The kid said he needed his waves of silvery blond hair shorn short. He said he was tired of his hair poofing straight up when he took off his ball cap in class.

His Albert Einstein-style hairdo exposed him to ridicule and reduced social stature in the eyes of nearby girls, he bemoaned.

My husband eyed my son. “Flowbee,” my husband grunted.

“Nooooo,” my son wailed.

“Flowbee,” my husband growled.

A Flowbee is a noisy attachment that fits onto the vacuum cleaner and somehow cuts and sucks hair. Clean; no mess; shown to out-perform professional stylists!

After three days, my son capitulated, figuring that even a Flowbee cut was better than a day more of being a puffhead in front of girls.

In the code of the gadgeteer, if a gadget exists, a gadget must be used.

On Sunday night, just as my husband’s favorite television show was starting, he positioned my son in front of the TV and fired up the vacuum cleaner and Flowbee attachment.

Through five commercial breaks, the Flowbee vrrroommed. My son sat quietly his head bent down to counter the suction of the Flowbee vacuum.

Only once did he question, “Dad, isn’t it taking a little long?”

At precisely 10 p.m., with the music of the television show fading away, my husband pronounced the Flowbee finished.

My son ran to the bathroom. I heard a gurgling sort of a groan. “It’s uneven,” my son said. “I’ve got a bald spot.”

I looked. Yes, indeedy the Flowbee had run over my son’s head like a rusty hand-push lawn mower. I pulled down what was left of his bangs. A quarter-inch of bangs on the right side and inch-long bangs on the left.

I began looking for haircut coupons.

At Supercuts the next day, I asked the hairdresser if she could make the hair on my son’s head look even without making him bald.

“It was a Flowbee,” I said. She nodded, empathizing. Obviously, other members of the Knights of the Gadget had had Flowbee operating errors.

“It’s because he did it while watching ‘X-Files’," my son explained to the hairdresser.

In other words, Flowbees don’t ruin hair; alien-hunting television show-watching Flowbee users do.

See how it goes? Faith, thou art the gadget’s friend. Be gone, obvious evidence of gadget failure!

My son, clearly, is on his way to becoming a second-generation gadget-ite.

Ann Mooney - September 1998

Last edited: