I like tools, I admit it!

Bill Satko

I realize that tools do not make the craftsman. There are people in third world countries that are making fine furniture with screwdrivers they sharpen on concrete.

I also realize that having a tool and being able to use that tool are two different things. I take pride in working very hard in developing my skills so that I am not just a tool collector.

But I have to admit I gain a lot of pleasure in owning a beautifully engineered and crafted tool. It may be wrong, but there it is.

Mostly I covet good handtools. For example, and this is only one of many, many possibilities, there is something about the new Clifton 77 Adjustable Bull nose Plane.

EE-635770XX_big.gif

I go to Tools for Working Wood website and view this photo all the time.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a list of handtools that I think I would like to have. I devised it so that if any discretionary funds (tool money) became available I could check my list of tools. The list is an accumulation of my tool interests over a period of time and it helps me from making an impulse decision. It is quite fancy as I can do "what if scenarios" and check to see how to get the most bang for my buck. It also has a column that I can check off when I have bought the tool, allowing me to see how I am progressing in my procurement efforts.

Apparently I still have money left over from my annual tool allotment fund, according to my wife. How I missed this, I don't know!

Problem is trying to figure what tool to get. I been weighing all the possiblities over and over. I then came to the realization that there will always be more tools than money.

I don't know how many steps there are for a recoverying tool addict, but this has got to be the first one.

It is either that or I get a second job, ....hmm.:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with either hobby in my book, that being tool collecting or using. It could be worse, you could be addicted to expensive musical instruments, or rare books, or fly rods....

At least with the tools you can use them to make things. I like the way you have a list of what you want. With a list like that, you could actually design and build a fancy tool box to hold them and then actually 'complete' your collection someday.

Sounds like you have things well under control and enjoy what you get and use what you get.

And that is a nifty looking little plane... :thumb: :thumb:

Nothing wrong with either hobby in my book, that being tool collecting or using. It could be worse, you could be addicted to expensive musical instruments, or rare books, or fly rods....
Or photography...

We're here to help you and push you forward Bill...off the cliff you go. ;) :rofl:

That is a nice looking plane. :thumb:

My spreadsheet is of the tools I do own, so that if I kick the bucket first my family has an idea of what there is and what it's worth.

I like your wish list idea though. And that is a nice little plane.

Or photography...

We're here to help you and push you forward Bill...off the cliff you go. ;) :rofl:

That is a nice looking plane. :thumb:

Talk about expensive. I've got a a little plastic play-doh container I'm shoving money into to hopefully get enough for an L-Series canon lense someday... That's going to take a while... :rofl:

Bill:

I also like the idea of a master tool acquisition list.

This would help me when I come across something on CL that is cool and I "could use".

I've been killing myself about an old Craftsman Belt/Disc sander combo that appeared this week cheap. I don't need it but it would be useful at times. I don't really have room for it. But it was really reasonable. Same old song and dance.

I also have a spreadsheet of purchases but the running total was depressing me.

Hope 2010 treated you well and 2011 treats you even better.

Cheers

Jim

Bill:

I also have a spreadsheet of purchases but the running total was depressing me.

Look at it as an investment portfolio. Then you can feel good, not bad. High quality tools tend to keep or go up in value. And while you own them, you enjoy them. For example, a LV med shoulder plane used to cost $139.00. Could you sell a used one for that or more today? I think so.

I realize that tools do not make the craftsman. There are people in third world countries that are making fine furniture with screwdrivers they sharpen on concrete.

I also realize that having a tool and being able to use that tool are two different things. I take pride in working very hard in developing my skills so that I am not just a tool collector.

But I have to admit I gain a lot of pleasure in owning a beautifully engineered and crafted tool. It may be wrong, but there it is.

Mostly I covet good handtools. For example, and this is only one of many, many possibilities, there is something about the new Clifton 77 Adjustable Bull nose Plane.

EE-635770XX_big.gif

I go to Tools for Working Wood website and view this photo all the time.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a list of handtools that I think I would like to have. I devised it so that if any discretionary funds (tool money) became available I could check my list of tools. The list is an accumulation of my tool interests over a period of time and it helps me from making an impulse decision. It is quite fancy as I can do "what if scenarios" and check to see how to get the most bang for my buck. It also has a column that I can check off when I have bought the tool, allowing me to see how I am progressing in my procurement efforts.

Apparently I still have money left over from my annual tool allotment fund, according to my wife. How I missed this, I don't know!

Problem is trying to figure what tool to get. I been weighing all the possiblities over and over. I then came to the realization that there will always be more tools than money.

I don't know how many steps there are for a recoverying tool addict, but this has got to be the first one.

It is either that or I get a second job, ....hmm.:rolleyes:

well bill,, that definatly qualifies as tool addiction and yur picture is a definate runner up for a cnter fold:)

Well...Bill if any time you get rid if that addiction I'll make you the favour of removing all your tools from your sight so you don't fall again in it:D.