Any one still use their old mitre box

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I have this on my clean-up/tune-up list (along with a lot of my tools). I bought it back in 2001 and mostly use it for smaller and delicate trim pieces. The box is a Miller Falls, not sure of the year or model as the label is missing. It expands out for about a 10" straight cut or a 7" angled.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyone else still use theirs?

Attachments

• IMG_20101230_211820.jpg
    IMG_20101230_211820.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20101230_212246.jpg
    IMG_20101230_212246.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 122
I saw another on ebay today, might search for 'miller falls'. That's where I picked this one up at. The back guide had gotten crack and repaired on mine at one point, but they did a good job brazing it up.

I really don't like buying without seeing something in person. I did buy a few items on eBay, but it is such a hit or miss proposition that I don't do it any more. There is a saw guy that I trust on eBay and that is about it. He is well known among the forums.

I might just have to use some of my zillion air miles I have and fly back East when the big tool shows are going and pick me up some old iron!

I sure do. I bought this one a couple of years ago, and recently took it apart and restored it. Sharpening the saw was an epiphany for me, and it works just great now.

Attachments

• Stenley 244 miter box and saw.JPG
    Stenley 244 miter box and saw.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Stanley 244 plate.JPG
    Stanley 244 plate.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6846.JPG
    IMG_6846.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 43
I got mine in 1966. I was helping remodel a house and this was on top of a junk pile.:eek: Asked the home owner if I could haul it off for him. Dad bought me a back saw for my B'Day to go with it.:thumb: Free is nice!!

I sure do. I bought this one a couple of years ago, and recently took it apart and restored it. Sharpening the saw was an epiphany for me, and it works just great now.

That is a great looking box. Is the sacrificial plate something you added or were they done that way from the factory?. I may need to see if I can do that with mine anyway. Would help with any tear out. :wave:

I have a Stanley 358 in perfect condition with all the parts/pieces and has the original wood, I even found one of the original Disston saws with the made for Stanley impression on it. I couldn't ask for a more accurate and quiet tool.

Oh yeah, and only $30 from an antique dealer, saw was $3 at a flea mkt booth.

jr.

That is a great looking box. Is the sacrificial plate something you added or were they done that way from the factory?. I may need to see if I can do that with mine anyway. Would help with any tear out. :wave:

Darren, sorry for the late reply. I forgot to answer. The sacrificial wooden board is something I added. The box came with one, but it was all beat up.

Jr., I am very happy to see you here. Welcome.