Ben's Turning Showcase

Ben Werner

Over the past couple of years I have spent the majority of my time away from home and therefore the lathe. When I am lucky enough to have time to make it home, I often relax by heading out to the shop and making chips fly. I rarely had time or the will to take pictures of my pieces. But during Thanksgiving break I realized that I had a decent number of pieces that I had never photographed. I decided to take a few hours and get my photography setup together and take pictures of all of my pieces. I did so but had no extra time to go through the pictures and make them better. Come winter break, I have time! I've now gone through them and tidied some up, and now would like to share them with you! So here's the deal: I'm posting just about one picture per piece because otherwise we'd be dealing with over 100 pictures. I know this doesnt give the best look at the piece, but that's the way it is. Also, when I took pictures I didnt really keep them in any discernible order... and the same goes for this post. So enjoy! (There are about 40 so I understand if you don't make it all the way through!) I look forward to hearing which is your favorite and any other comments/questions you might have! Almost all of the finishes are mineral oil, shellac, then buffed with carnuaba wax.

PS: Happy New Year! Where did the year go?:huh:

3 section Maple Box

Cherry Bowl 5 3/4 by 2"

Cherry Hollow Form 4 1/4 by 3 3/4

Cherry Plate 8 3/4 by 1 1/4

thin cherry bowl 3 5/8 by 1 1/2

cherry, 4 1/8 by 1 1/2

NE Ash Curly Bowl 4 3/8 by 3 (this is def one of the older ones)

Maple Ringed Goblet 7 1/4 by 2 5/8, I'll eventually make a second and it will be a Pair of Wedding Goblets :D

Curly Ash Bowl 4 by 1 3/4

thin maple bowl 4 3/4 by 1 3/4

Elm bowl 10 by 2 3/4

maple NE bowl 5 1/2 by 3

Black Walnut NE Bowl, 11 in wingtip span 4 1/4 high at tip

elm plate bowl with worm holes, 6 1/2 by 1 1/2

Maple Box 4 1/2 tall by 2 3/8

Maple Rocket Ship Ring holder 6 by 1 5/8. I also made the ring out of Aluminum on a metal lathe at college.

Spalted maple bowl 5 1/2 by 1 1/2

Black Walnut NE Bowl 6 by 4 (older)

Pair of Maple Cups 2 1/2 by 2 tall

Elm Platter 14 1/4 by 1 1/4

Cherry Bowl 14 by 4

Cherry Bowl 14 by 5

Maple Bowl 5 1/4 by 2 1/2

Maple Oil Lamp 5 x 3

Maple oil lamp, 5 1/2 by 2

Maple and Bubinga Bowl 6 x 1 1/4

Thin Maple Plate 5 x7/8

Thin Walled maple bowl, spalted and figured. 5 1/2 by 2.

cherry bowl with worm holes 9 by 3 1/2

maple bowl with slight figure, 4 3/4 by 2 1/4

maple plate 6 1/4 by 1/2

Maple NE Figured Bowl 6 by 2 1/2

Cherry Plate bowl 8 1/4 by 1 3/4

Maple and Black Walnut thin warped plate 5 1/4 by 1. This really warped a lot.

maple figured and spalted bowl 5 1/2 by 1 1/2

cherry bowl 7 3/8 by 2 1/4

Ambrosia Maple Bowl 7 by 2

blackwalnut bowl 10 1/2 by 2 3/4

pierced maple and blackwalnut plate 4 1/2 by 5/8

Black Walnut Pepper and Ash Salt Shakers. Ash was made about 3 yrs back, Black Walnut just this thanksgiving. Dad made the platter holder, but we have decided its better upside-down :D

maple bowl 5 1/2 by 1 1/2

Maple Plate 6 3/4 by 1 1/2

Black died maple plate 6 3/4 by 1 1/4

Nice work Ben. I bet your old dad is very proud of you.

NAW :D he wasnt when i was over there this fall ,, but he did show me your work before his:):D:D nicely done Ben,, quite the collection.. that thin vertical rimmed bowl must have been tricky to turn and not have it break..that is really thin:):thumb::thumb:

Great to hear from you Ben and nice to see you are still spinning wood. It is too tough to pick just one out of that gallery, but the pierced plate is very unique!! :wave::thumb: And about that wedding goblet "set".....something to tell us?:huh:

Thanks everyone! I really like the lamps as well :)

But how did you get so many pix in one post? I thought the limit was ten.

I didnt feel like resizing all my pictures to 800x800 or whatever the size requirement is for FWW, so I uploaded to flickr and then linked.

And about that wedding goblet "set".....something to tell us?:huh:

naw, its just a good gift.

Well Ben I had a nice long comment and what do you know this darn ancient laptop i am typing on dropped me.

I think you dun some fine work there Ben. Way too many great ones to choose. I wrote half a page before i lost it. Dang. Really like the lamps and natural edges and the rocket and and and and how does one choose from a selection like that.

Hey you been holding out on us...

Thanks for taking time to photograph them and share them. Very inspirational.:thumb:

Now you gotta try your hand at the flatstuff and see if you can give the old man a run for his money.:D Ken you gotta get a plane into his hands before he dont let go of the spinny stuff for life. Someones got to inherit your planes one day. :D At this rate he wont know what to do with em.;)

Ben, I am really glad you decided to post all that. There is some outstanding stuff in there...well, ok, most all of it. Well done sir and please don't be shy!!

Hi,

I am also so very glad that you posted these photos. You do beautiful work. If I were a show judge I would have a heck of a time making a choice. There were several pieces that should have placed first.

However, since this is a no points judging, I narrowed it to two pieces. These were not chosen as a judge would choose; they were chosen because I just plain liked them.

#1a choice was the "cherry bowl 14 by 4." That is a bowl that could sit out on the coffee or dining room table for years. It could do that without losing interest.

#1b choice was the second lamp (a tiny bit on the flying saucer shape). Again, I could live with that every day for years without becoming tired of it. I picture it on a bedside table or on the dressing room counter.

I need to get some work done. I was just going to flip through the New Posts section real fast. You sure took care of that. Time just flew by as I admired your work.

Thank You and Enjoy,

Jim