Portable router table?

Ned Bulken

I've been meaning to either put a router table extension on my TS or build a light & nimble router table for my shop. I'm leaning at the moment toward the small basic and portable version, anyone got one they like and might have pics of?

This reminds me I need to update that web page. I quickly found that the 24x24 top was way too big to easily move around. So I resized it down to 18" deep by 24" wide. This took a bit of tricky cutting, but it worked.

Pat's still kickin'. He lives down near dad. I like Art's table. If the router table is not a cornerstone machine for you I would keep it as simple as possible. If you already have a workmate (doesn't everybody?) I would go with Carol's design.

Ned

Here is my portable router table.

About as portable as I can get, and it works quite well.
P1010486s.JPG

P1010487s.JPG

No insert so therefore there is no sag. The two runner strips are so I can capture it in my Black and Decker Workmate.

I have had boughten tables and I built a table into my first table saw way back. I built this to tide me over when I need a table "Now" and I had given my old saw with table built in on left to my son. It was for one job but is still used after 5 or 6 years. Stores easily and quickly. Can use most any scrap of wood and a couple of clamps for a fence. I wouldn't hesitate to screw a fence to it if needed. The material was a panel from a thrown out computer desk. It is covered particle board.. The routed out area was done free hand as you can probably tell.

If "when" I do another I will mount the runner to clamp into the workmate different. It will be bigger and a single one near the edge so the router can hang off the workmate. At least that is my thought as of now. Might not work out but the current mount into the Workmate is the weak point of the design in that it makes the router hard to get too, not that it is weak mechanically.

Garry

Last edited:
Here you go Ned.

I purchased the Rockler table second hand but never used $20 spent about 1/2 hour slicing & dicing gluing & nailing. Plug strip to plug router & shop vac into. Free promo Router from Hitachi clamped to a work mate. It don't come cheaper or quicker.

A great deal without a lot of Flibberty-Flab or Mumbo-Jumbo!:rofl::rofl::rofl::wave:

Attachments

• routers 3.jpg
    routers 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: