Tenon problem ??

Dan Mosley

Today I made another vase like turning and when I reversed it to work on it the tenon broke off. I am going to let it dry for a couple weeks and then ill need to figure out a way to remount it in order to sand the inside and outside. The problem is I made the wall on the foot area (outside bottom)very thin and I do not think it it will hold in expansion mode tightly (loosely yes but it would break it tighten up).

So, my thought was is to make a small 2x2 square block and glue it to the bottom - then sand and part off the glue block when im done.
Anybody have another solution ?????

Attachments

• Tennon-1.jpg
    Tennon-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Tennon-2.jpg
    Tennon-2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Tenon-3.jpg
    Tenon-3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Tenon-4.jpg
    Tenon-4.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I agree with Don especially if the wood is green. By the time you get your block ready it is already going to be out of round. I have never had any luck doing that. Myself I just toss'em because to me life is to short to turn bad or broken wood.:D You could let it dry, sand it and finish it.

There's no need to have the glue block perfectly centered as long as you mount the piece reversed and turn the glue block round before chucking it. That said, if the bottom or walls are thin, there's still the risk of breaking it when parting it off. I'd probably just try to sand it off the lathe and call it good.