Locked Rabbet Jig

Ron Roase

Saw this Jig in Shop Notes and wanted to try and build it. It is always a hassel setting up for a locked rabbet joint because of having to set fence and blade a couple of times. This jig eliminates all that. After a couple of test cuts it is repeatable with ease. Also it will make several different styles of that joint. The only problem I ran across was that my Dado set is only a 6 inch set. You need a 8" set. You can do it with a 1/8 th inch blade,but then you have to make two extra cuts. I found a Dado set on Ebay for $25.00 so not to bad.
Locked Rabbet  joint.JPG

Locked rabbet  jig.JPG

Locked rabbet  Jig 2.JPG

Very cool jig. I would imagine it could be modified a bit for use on the router table with a straight bit. I just use a drawer lock bit on the router table.

Last edited:
thats alot of jig, ron..:) make sure that your saw will take the 8" dado blade before yu buy it.. measure the space on your blade shaft that you can still have the blades on there and tighten them down properly.. had a craftsman that wouldnt accept a freud dado stack so bought a saw that did..

I've used a lock rabbet joint on all of my shop drawers for years. I also use it on the backs of other drawers with dovetails on the fronts. The lock rabbet I use is a bit different from the one Ron shows in his post but I haven't had any issue with it. I don't remember where I saw it but it was probably in a woodworking magazine many years ago.

I do most of the lock rabbets on my router table using a 1/4" straight bit. If I have a lot of drawers to run, I might setup a dado blade on my tablesaw for the inset slot (dado) and set my router table for the rabbet side.

Attachments

• LockRabbet.jpg
    LockRabbet.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 24
thats alot of jig, ron..:) make sure that your saw will take the 8" dado blade before yu buy it.. measure the space on your blade shaft that you can still have the blades on there and tighten them down properly.. had a craftsman that wouldnt accept a freud dado stack so bought a saw that did..

My 6" fits OK, its a 5/8 Arbor on s Delta contractor saw. I only need 1/4" cut

Ron what issue was that jig fixture in?? Shop Notes
Thanks Gayl

Gayl: It was in Vol. 19 issue 113 , I have sent letters to the editor a couple of times but never got any answer from them. The jig works great, but the instuctions show it one way but when you look at the pictures every thing is in reverse. I followed the instructions to the letter for a right tilt saw, all the pictures of the finished jig are all made for a left tilt saw. So it is a little cofusing and I just wanted to point that out.