Stanley 80 scraper ( Updated with pictures just for Bill)

Rob Keeble

Ok you Neander and flatworker types, you been holding out on me. :rofl:

Some time back i bought via ebay an a old #80 stanley scraper. Well for a few dollars i got a new blade at good ole LV and had the two sitting in the draw for the big ol sharpening bonanza that took place in my shed this last week. Heck i could not start the new year with blunt tools:rofl:

Well i know we all getting on a little in years and going gray around the ears etc but you guys sure could have shared the excitement this little gem creates.:bliss:

I put the new blade in after having flattened the sole completely ( more shoulder breaking effort) and went to work on the ornary walnut from Michigan and voila i could not stop. It was so darn exciting i just kept on and on. Ultra thin shavings everywhere.

Why is it so few woodworkers can express the excitement that comes from these tools. Man i am not shy to say i was like a little kid. I got so excited I called loml out by phone to come and see what i had. Even she was amazed which takes a lot.

So you guys have been holding out on me and keeping this little gem a secret and all to yourself. Boy for what i paid (pretty cheap i cannot remember exactly) this is a really great tool.

I have a set of hand scrapers and yeah they good but no cigar but this inconspicuous #80 is the king of fixer uppers.

Where i had gouges and cuts from the Coffin plane i was setting up, this just smoothed them away. Wood definitely did not need sanding after a shave with one of these.

If you gonna do a table top which i am in the process of ( small one though) this is the ideal tool. :woohoo:

Ok now the cat is out of the bag.:)

Last edited:
Man I hate getting old, as my eyes are just not what they use to be. I don't see a Stanley 80, no chocolate from Michigan, nor any chocolate curls. Guess I need better glasses!

Hey another thing, guys. Rob must have way too much Michigan Chocolate as he uses it for practice. Poor me, I have to use left over pieces of framing lumber or if I am lucky some cruddy oak from a old pallet. Next thing we probably will hear he makes his push sticks out of the stuff. I wonder what Larry thinks about all this.

Hey another thing, guys. Rob must have way too much Michigan Chocolate as he uses it for practice. Poor me, I have to use left over pieces of framing lumber or if I am lucky some cruddy oak from a old pallet. Next thing we probably will hear he makes his push sticks out of the stuff. I wonder what Larry thinks about all this.

Poor you? Poor me that the biggest ( and only) chocolate part I have measures 6 x 5 x 1/2" and it is a sample from a flooring company. Although I must admit that Larry is keeping me a piece to use next time I come to US.;)

Attachments

• 01 walnut.jpg
    01 walnut.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 02 walnut.jpg
    02 walnut.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

he hasnt received any more Bill:) if he is using it for scrap practice, then i quess.. maybe he should share some with yu how much yu want bill:)
i think i can find some layun around here somewhere..

how much yu want bill:)
i think i can find some layun around here somewhere..

I think you need to help out Toni, as the poor guy has resorted to stealing floor samples in order get any decent wood.

Sure glad I live in North America where walnut is plentiful enough to be used to make table saw push sticks! :D

this fall i burnt it for heat,, to keep the chill off. bad thing about toni is the ship doesnt come in to me much.. and the customes would kill us i think,, but am willing to try toni..

Ok Bill tonight just for you i will get the pictures required. But as for wasting Michigan chocolate that would be a sin. However since i had a session of stupidity during the past week, attempting to test a smoother plane on a narrow piece of stock, I reverted to using a piece of resawn walnut to test its smoothing ability and then used the scraper to get it even better. Note i am resawing the stuff to spread it further like butter however at the same time its the only board size hardwood i have and I was looking for an ornary piece.:D

I wonder how the Veritas version of the #80 works in comparision. It is suppose to be "improved"

05p3205s1.jpg

05p3205s6.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=46266

So here is the proof :rofl: for the huge possie that came over the hill all covered in snow.:D

For the first time i remembered to get a  before picture but this does not show the real truth.jpg This is what the sole looked like at the start.

Then i gave it a whirl on the granite and 400/600/800 sandpaper.

Here after a little work you can see just how out of true this baby was.

covered the sole with black sharpie as a substitute for toolroom blue and now you can see how be.jpg

A bit more work and after a little elbow grease.jpg and voila my $18 dollar including new blade scraper. Who says you cannot get good tools cheap.:thumb:

Then just for Bill this is what chocolate shavings look like after i scraped down some Michigan Chocolate that i had resawn the week before.

Proof of walnut shavings for Bill.jpg

1 Scraper finish on walnut veneer cut.jpg 2 scraper finish on walnut veneer.jpg 3 Scraper finish.jpg

Ok you can holster those guns and put your eyes back in their sockets and head out into the sunset now.:rofl::wave:

Attachments

• final finish on my no 80 scraper all of $18 invested including new blade.jpg
    final finish on my no 80 scraper all of $18 invested including new blade.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
I think you need to help out Toni, as the poor guy has resorted to stealing floor samples in order get any decent wood.
You're wrong Bill, I didn't steal it, it was given to me after some begging.;)

Would they charge you for the "crate" made from chocolate if you shipped something to him? ;)
Sure they would, because they charge for the total weight not for the container.

thats my man,, Rob give it back to them and darren that isa an idea,, toni is so good at making things whats a few nails or staples in the mix:)

Well Larry... it would not be the first time I salvage some wood from crates, pallets or old furniture, but making a crate out of chocolate would be a waste. I'd rather have a full cardboard box with nicely cut pieces of several feet and different thicknesses than some boards with nails or holes in them.

Sorry Rob for the hijack:(

Old 80 Scraper

I'm with you!!! I found mine on ebay and just put an edge on it. I also used it on some walnut and got the best shavings of my life. Did you put a different blade in yours?

Hi Bill

Yes i did put a new blade in which i got for a few dollars at LV. $5.20 to be exact. When i cleaned up the scraper i then worked on the one that was in it.

In hindsite again from reading and learning, i should have left the old one as it was. It had a slight curve to its edge which meant it did not protrude the full width. I could see after having read up in some books on planes how this could be helpful in not having the full width of the blade present if you only want to scrape a small area narrower than the full blade and it would make it easier to push or pull across the surface leading i would suspect to allout better control.

So next time i plan on reintroducing the curve to the old blade.

Sometimes one has to think a little further before modifying what someone before did on an old tool. Who ever had mine knew what they were doing with it. :):thumb: