Snow shovels

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
As much as I hate snow and shoveling it, I still have to do it.

But I busted my snow shovel. The handle attaches to a plastic scoop and this last wet stuff was too much for it.

Then I discovered snow shovel technology. Gees, what happened to the simple shovel with a straight handle. Well, they are still available but what am I am I missing?

About all I know for sure is I want a D handle and light weight.

What can you all tell me about snow shovels I ought to know before I go buy another?

If you are having wet snow, what you want is a coal shovel, or scoop, or they are sometimes called grain scoops.

If the snow is wet and heavy, the smaller ones are better, if the snow is lighter then the larger scoop work well.

You can get ones that are all aluminum, but I like the wooden handle better myself.

I have a steel D-handle smaller coal shovel, it works well here in Tokyo when it does snow, as it is strong enough to chip any compacted snow off the side walk too.

Example of a larger scoop
027-1650500.jpg
Dh Western Pattern Grain Scoop

The smaller steel type I have....

027-SFGDS.jpg
Side Safe Square Point Shovel D-handle Fbrgls

That one has a one piece fiberglass handle, not bad at all.

They range in price from about $15 to well over $50, I think one around $25 should serve you for many years:thumb:

I hope this helps

I have about 6 different snow shovels. I hate using any of them :D:D
A couple are good for pushing and the rest are decent for scooping and lifting. The scooping ones have the "D" handle and a metal strip on the blade to keep the plastic from wearing down. I've tried the back saver ones before and found that they don't help me at all.
If the snow is sticky I usually spray the shovel with cooking spray or Pledge. That seems to help to keep me on my feet when the snow sticks to the shovel when I'm trying to toss it over the top of the pile:rofl:

Carol,

I went to the ergonomic type of handle on my snow shovel a few years ago, and would NOT go back to a basic straight handle.
It looks sort of like this:
snow-shovel-ergonomic.jpg

This makes things a lot easier on my back (I have lower back issues, bulging disks) as you can mostly stand upright. There is far less bending and scooping.

Watch out in the store, as in recent years I've noticed that some shovels have far less of a curve to them, which kind of defeats the point.

I tend to use a wider "pusher" blade when I shovel, whereas my wife prefers a narrower/longer "scooping" blade. It takes a bit less snow on it, which suits her.

I've always used a small one like Stu suggested for wet deep snow, takes a little longer, but not as hard on my back since it's smaller scoops. I've tried the ergonomic ones, it was a nice shovel.

You may want to look for one of these to put on that new tractor of yours also. ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• rear model 43 blade.jpg
    rear model 43 blade.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 45
I got to thinking about my shovel which is like Art's, it works for me because I am 6 feet tall. I have to think that they might be very size specific. What works for me and Art may not work for someone size challenged :D unless it was specifically made for that height of person.

The bent handle shovel for this old fart. That thing is great. But one of these days I will figure out how to hook up my ATV snow plow, I've only had it for 5 years and can not figure it out :rofl: Maybe my son once he is college ed-u-ma-cated will be able to.

Last edited:
another vote for the bent handle carol and i do get wet snow here as well..the plastic blade do let it slide out pretty well and if its get iced up then i switch to something like a square edged shovel with a long handle to get under and chip it away..

OK, I got the bent handle Yellow one from HD. Not much choice actually. The town was mostly sold out of snow shovels.

And this afternoon it started up again! :mad: :tantrum: :pullhair: :gonnagetit: :bonkers: