Coffee Table - In Progress

Now that I have a garage, I no longer need to keep this in the storage. It has been in the storage for the last 3 years. This is a cherry coffee table that I was working on as a class project at a local community college. I am sure Mike Henderson would recognize the design of this table. This is the standard design that about 80% of the student make in that class. Students are allowed to come up with their own design but most students are flatwork newbies and don't feel comfortable enought to do that. So they build the table from the design provided by the instructor. The main idea is to learn the technique and be comfortable with using various machines.

The top is not attached to the bottom and the drawer is not finished yet. I also have to make the plugs. My goal is to finish this by mid-year. I think I need someone like Ben to push me.

This will prove (You hear that Larry) that the vortex is strong, yet not strong enough to keep me from the flatland.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 49
That will be a great coffee table Mohammad and it is great that you now have a place to work on your woodworking again:thumb: So have at it and GET BUSY in there as we all are anxious to follow your progress:)

good for yu :D:thumb::thumb::thumb: didnt realize yu had any interest in flat work.. and i see yur camera works well,, so lets see those turnings.. the top was grain matched very well :thumb:

Thanks guys.

Larry, Besides turning, I have interest in flat work, carving, woodburning, sculpting and drawing. I haven't tackled all of the above yet and I am not good at any of the ones that I have tried.

:woohoo:That table looks great Mohammad.:thumb: Good to see you a all round woodworker.

You sure must be enjoying now having a place to bring these items out and finish them off. Looking forward to seeing more. Heard lots of good stuff about your turning.;)

welcome to the wonderful world of flatwork/furniture building.

I like the color of your cherry more than my cherry. Maybe my cherry hasnt popped yet.:D

now ya gonna look at that pretty coffee table every day and start thinking, hmmmmm....maybe an entertainment unit to match.........hmmmmmm........a new dining table and chairs, maybe a server, hmmmmmmm........maybe a sofa table, hmmmmmm.......

Last edited:
All right.:thumb: now ya have some thing else to put them turning on.:) So glad ya have a place to call your own shop now. I think ounce ya get that jet set back up, that table will make a nice work bench to set the lathe on.:rofl: Just kidding ofcorse, great looking table and i'm sure the wife is really happy for ya also. Now she can make big long lists of stuff that she wants ya to build.
Steve
PS great pics

Thanks guys.

Larry, Besides turning, I have interest in flat work, carving, woodburning, sculpting and drawing. I haven't tackled all of the above yet and I am not good at any of the ones that I have tried.

mohammad i think i know of 5 people that would disagree on your turning abilities....but yu wont show the rest of us to let them be the judge of that:) yur way to modest on yur turning abilities!!!!!! and now that yu have some much extra room yu need one of these slabs i have for a nice table for the misses:)