Pair of Wedding Goblets

Ben Werner

Well eventually came sooner than later. After turning out 5 goblets in the past couple weeks I figured may as well do this one while I'm on my goblet game. :rofl::D They will get to my cousin for her wedding in the fall.

The new one is the slightly darker one. Mineral oil and then buffed on the outside with white diamond and carnuaba wax. The new one has shellac on the inside. 7 1/4 tall by a smidge over 2 1/2 wide.

Comments and critique always welcome!

Have you thought about inter weaving the bands together?

I have but I am 1) afraid of breaking it in such away that its not a nice glue line, and 2) like the idea of unbroken rings. Once I say I broke it I feel like it loses a sense of awesomeness cause then it might not have come from the same piece of wood. I'll prob try it out eventually.

I thought the same way Ben but then I was advised to make a third ring and to do it with that one and see how it worked out. It looks great and no one can tell that it was ever broken. Just me and they wonder how it was done you just say that you turned it that way. Like a magician you don't tell the secrets of how it was done,

Very nice goblets Ben, .. You don't say what wood you used?? I like to make goblets, though mine don't have such delicate stems as yours... I'll have to try one soon... also have never tried the captive ring.. 1. don't have the tool, 2. not sure if I have the skill.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

@Drew: Is there a trick to breaking it nicely?

@Chuck: They are maple. Apparently you can do captive rings with a skew... I was given the tools when I was first starting so I never tried it. I have also used a dentist's curved tool for smaller rings on baby rattles.

@Mo: you have no idea how many times I put the old one on top of the new one and just stared and tried to make em as close as possible.

Nice work as usual Ben! I'm sure they will be thrilled when they get them.

I'd like to know more about your avatar. Is that you and how did you do it ? It's very cool.