4.5 or 6 hp for 18" bandsaw?

Brian Altop

I am going to purchase a Laguna 18" bandsaw and they offer a 6hp upgrade, still 220,single phase. This will be my first 'big' bandsaw and I work with a lot of large exotic woods, i.e. - ipe, jatoba, and local hardwoods. When resawing large stock like a 16" plank of jatoba, I don't want to have moments where I wish I would have gotten the extra HP. Any suggestions? Is 4.5 more than enough or just go with the 6? Price is not much of an influence. Thanks!

Hi Brian!

Welcome to the Family :wave:

If the price is not a deterrent, then why not go for the larger motor?

I figure that the 4.5Hp would be fine for most anything, but there must be a reason they offer it with the 6Hp, if you are going to do a lot of resawing wide hard boards, then I'd say you would not regret the larger motor.

Of course, a good sharp blade will be the next thing you will NEED to do that job, even a 6Hp motor trying to push a dull blade won't work, but I'm sure you know that!

Cheers!

Agreed on more HP. 4.5 should be enough but if cost is not an issue why take the chance. My 2HP 17" has done everything I have ever needed but ipe is a rare visitor here (and tough stuff); an extra horse or two would not be unwelcome. If exotics were my trade I would prefer the extra ponies to spoiled material.

[/QUOTE]Of course, a good sharp blade will be the next thing you will NEED to do that job, even a 6Hp motor trying to push a dull blade won't work, but I'm sure you know that!

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Actually, I adhere to strict shop safety. I make sure that there are no chances of being cut by running all my tablesaw blades and bandsaw blades backwards. This way you may get a little burn, but no cut off hands, fingers etc. Sure is a stinker to push the wood through though!:rofl::rofl::p