Super Nova Chuck ?

Dan Mosley

Other than keeping it oiled up with WD I have never taken a chuck apart to clean it. I noticed my Supernova has gotton pretty grimmey so I thought I would clean it up really good and maybe take the retaining clip off and take it apart. However, I have never take one apart and thought I would see if anyone else has, and see how they cleaned theirs up.........

Thanks in advance...............Dan

I just blow mine out with compressed air every now and then :dunno:

I've never had it apart, but man I'd be worried about getting it back together again :eek: :doh: Maybe fire off an e-mail to Nova first?

Ditto wat Vaughn said. Getting it all back perzactly as it should be can be beyond tricky. I have a three jawed chuck that is driving me buggers trying to get the jaws lined up so they close together.
Personally, if yours works fine, I wouldn't take apart. As an alternative, you can use an old gunsmith trick. Get in a well ventilated area, outside preferably, and blow carburetor cleaner through it to clean. Let dry, lubricate a little bit. (not too much as lube will grab and hold dust) Then use. Do this about once a decade and you should be just fine.

Here is a link to the Teknatool site for servicing the SN2.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/C...loads/Maintance of SuperNova2 Chuck_Oct04.pdf

I haven’t needed to service mine yet but I like Frank’s suggestion of carburetor cleaner for removing the gunk and old grease.
I did service my tailstock once and instead of oil/grease used Dry Lube instead (sold under many names/brands). It is graphite suspended in a solvent, when the solvent evaporates you have a very slick surface that will not attract dust. Shake the can well.

Ditto wat Vaughn said. Getting it all back perzactly as it should be can be beyond tricky. I have a three jawed chuck that is driving me buggers trying to get the jaws lined up so they close together.
Personally, if yours works fine, I wouldn't take apart. As an alternative, you can use an old gunsmith trick. Get in a well ventilated area, outside preferably, and blow carburetor cleaner through it to clean. Let dry, lubricate a little bit. (not too much as lube will grab and hold dust) Then use. Do this about once a decade and you should be just fine.

...... Vaughn....? :huh:

Periodically, I soak mine in either naptha or mineral spirits... just enough in a coffee can to cover the chuck, let it soak for a few hours or a day, dry off and then spray the inserts with WD40... I have a couple of the PSI Baracuda 4 jaws... only time I've ever taken apart is once I opened it too wide and a couple of the inserts fell out... that was fun putting them back in...

It is not that bad so im going to try the soak - carb cleaner suggestions first.................................
Chuck - I read your post but was it easy to take apart and reassemble or was it tricky or hard to do ??

It is not that bad so im going to try the soak - carb cleaner suggestions first.................................
Chuck - I read your post but was it easy to take apart and reassemble or was it tricky or hard to do ??

It was a piece of cake both ways:thumb: Just remember to look at it as you take each piece off. That way you will know how it goes back on. Which side is up/out and which end is pointing which way. And yes the jaws only go one way.:thumb:

Chuck - Drew and all.............thanks ill try the soak and carb cleaner first its not sticking bad just not as smooth as it was when new and very dirty and blackened up.............if that does not work then ill take it apart and let ya know how it goes..............Thanks to all for the help

Just finished taking apart the under side of the tail stock and noticed that the bolt on the slide bar that tightens up to the ways was cracked thru the weld. So, I had it re-welded back in place and just put it back on the lathe......working good.....

Just finished taking apart the under side of the tail stock and noticed that the bolt on the slide bar that tightens up to the ways was cracked thru the weld. So, I had it re-welded back in place and just put it back on the lathe......working good.....

Hey Dan how about a pic so we can see what part you are talking about. This could be a problem with other lathes that needs a look at.

Actually the taking apart part was easy... I just opened the jaws until the insert fell out... it was pretty easy to put the insert back in... just clicked in place and hold all four while you turn the bottom section until the threads catch... fun part was that one insert fell into the pile of sawdust under my lathe and I spent about 20 minutes digging through that to find it. I'm thinking I may need one of those magnets for picking up nails to rummage through the sawdust...