SawStop Contractor Saw TV sighting

Ian Gillis

I searched a couple of forums and it looks like nobody has posted on this yet.
I watched "Ask this Old House" today. Sparky the host and Tommy Silva did a little piece on table saw safety. They scared the life out of a wiener on a SawStop contractor saw. Sheet metal wings, open stand - it's the first I've seen of it.

I know that many have been waiting for this to arrive, including me - because I could never justify the cost of the cabinet saw. I have no info on price. They did not dwell on the saw other than to demo the safety aspect.

Pretty good product placement by SawStop - I bet that's the best exposure they've had to date.

Picture from website: (Am I the last to see this?)

Attachments

• contractor_saw_large.jpg
    contractor_saw_large.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ian, as luck would have it I was cleaning and organizing my office after reading this post shortly after you made it and came across a article in Workbench magazine February 2003. On page 56 there is a short article about it with the price at that time for a contractors saw at $699.00 for a 1 1/2 h.p. 115 Volt. It also listed the cabinet saw in the same article at $2199.00 for a 3 h.p. 230 volt.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, they did start talking about the contractor saw in 2003, but they haven't made it to retail yet. The website says it's still in field testing. I guess they forgot to send me a sample :(

$699 was the proposed price in '03 and they seem to be sticking to that according to FWW. But they said $2199 for the cabinet saw back then and it's retailing for around $3200 these days. Time will tell, I guess.