Vases

Well ordered a DVD from Brian McEvoy on doing two piece HF's. Sure does make things easier and is a lot of fun to do. These are turned in two pieces and then glued together. The key is getting the glue line perfectly flat. I used a machinest square. If they are not perfect you can see the line and if you do get it perfect you will have to look for the line. The poplar with the walnut collar and foot is 9 1/2" X 3 1/2". The walnut is 11 1/2" X 4 1/2". They are finished with several light coats of deft lacquer.

By the way these are already sold and haven't even got the final coats on yet. A lady came into the Arts Center where I have my turnings dislplayed and saw the picture the Director had taken of the six I took down. She wanted two. So e-mailed her a pic's and she said she would pick them up when done. I said don't you want to know the price and she just said I know you'll be fair. So the poplar I quoted $65 and the walnut $95. She said fine.

Oh and I got Brian's newest DVD on embellishments. So will hopefully give pyrography, piercing, and airbrushing a go.

Attachments

• Poplar With Walnut Collar Foot 1.jpg
    Poplar With Walnut Collar Foot 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 43
  • Poplar With Walnut Collar Foot 3.jpg
    Poplar With Walnut Collar Foot 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Walnut Vase 1.jpg
    Walnut Vase 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Walnut Vase 2.jpg
    Walnut Vase 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 39
What are you going to use for your piercing Bernie? I thinking of having a lash at that myself. I like the collar on the poplar...maybe next time, if the opportunity presents itself, you could snap a few shots of the process, it would be a great tutorial :thumb:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Jim I am going to try piercing with a dremel tool. I just can't justify the cost of some of those piercing outfits ($420 for one and $535 for the other) and especially if I don't do it a lot. If all my turnings were going to be pierced I would. I will take some shots the next time I do one to give one a idea.

Last edited:
Very nice turnings Bernie. Sometime i would really appreciate it if you would show us a picture of your truning tools. I gotta get myself some for the detail work but they just seem to be too confusing to an idiot.:D