Duck Calls

Mason Kuettel

Made these two over the Christmas break for a friend who is a hunter.

The first is Argentinian Osage Orange and the second is Texas cedar with a malchite stone inlay in a bark inclusion and ring on the stopper.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSC_0659.JPG
    DSC_0659.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0660.JPG
    DSC_0660.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 53
So the shell goes in the call...where's the trigger? Just kidding!!! Great looking work Mason...of course the Cedar really stands out with the inlay, nice touch!

If it's Argentine osage orange wouldn't that be "naranja de osage"? :D:D

and instead of quack, quack wouldn't the call make the sound "curandero, curandero" ?? :D:D

Great looking calls... both are truly beautiful, but I like the effects of the inlay on the cedar best... are these single reeds or double... or are they the plastic reeds from HUT. Or can you make your own reeds... there was a web site that show how to cut and make your own reeds that I have long since lost. I haven't turned a duck call in over a year, but for a while was doing quite a few of them... right now I'm working on a couple of elk bugles for a fellow in Frank's neighborhood...

I used the parts from HUT. One of them was a single reed (plastic basic kit that HUT sells) and one was a nicer double reed set. The double reed sounded better in my opinion, but I am no expert when it comes to hunting calls by any means!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments.

If it's Argentine osage orange wouldn't that be "naranja de osage"? :D:D

and instead of quack, quack wouldn't the call make the sound "curandero, curandero" ?? :D:D

Great looking calls... both are truly beautiful, but I like the effects of the inlay on the cedar best... are these single reeds or double... or are they the plastic reeds from HUT. Or can you make your own reeds... there was a web site that show how to cut and make your own reeds that I have long since lost. I haven't turned a duck call in over a year, but for a while was doing quite a few of them... right now I'm working on a couple of elk bugles for a fellow in Frank's neighborhood...

Elk bugles? Where do you get your reeds?
BTW, if you used Arkansas Osage Orange the call goes "Y'all, Y'all". :laugh2:

HUT sells the reeds and expansion tubes for the bugles... I'm not a hunter of anything except the tool I last had and can't find now, but I've sold a few of the bugles and they are fun to make... actually made the same way as the deer grunts, just different reed and longer expansion tube.

HUT sells the reeds and expansion tubes for the bugles... I'm not a hunter of anything except the tool I last had and can't find now, but I've sold a few of the bugles and they are fun to make... actually made the same way as the deer grunts, just different reed and longer expansion tube.

Thanks. I haven't looked in my HUT catalog for a long time. Many of my duck, goose, deer and varmint calls come from them. Haven't seen the elk ones, will check.