Woodcraft Good Customer Service

Stuart Ablett

Recently I ordered the Freud Adjustable Tenon Cutter 99-761 and the optional glass panel door cutter # 54-760on the 29th of December. The package came the other day, the service was quick, but the contents were damaged.

This is the email I sent to their customer service....

Greetings and a Happy New Year.

As you can see, I ordered the Freud Adjustable Tenon Cutter 99-761 and the optional glass panel door cutter # 54-760 from you on the 29th of December.
I'm very pleased with the quick service, but the packaging was not very good.

I've included a number of pictures showing the problem.

image001.jpg
This is the view that greeted me when I removed the top layers of paper from the box, the cutters were loose inside their enclosures. For the item on the left, the "Optional Glass Door Panel Cutter #54-760, as it had only plastic to bang into, it is not damaged, but the item on the right, well, there are a lot of chipped carbide tips, as the following pictures will show.....

image002.jpg image003.jpg
You can see the damage to the plastic base as well

image004.jpg
It looks to me like the glue holding the plastic inserts let go, I think that this is partly a fault of the way Freud packages the items, but also the fact that your shipper laid the boxed on their backs, and did not stand them upright.

image005.jpg image006.jpg image007.jpg

image008.jpg image009.jpg image010.jpg

The chips on the carbide are substantial, I am sure that they will not preform well in this state.

Now at this point what do we do about the problem?

I would very much like the one set replaced, the #99-761 the Adjustable Rail and Stile Router Bit Set, Ogee Profile 1/2" shank Freud.
The other item is fine, and will be no problem to use.

I need this set for a project that is already in the works and I hope this can be dealt with quickly so that I am not delayed.
I would also suggest that the package be opened and some foam or something be placed inside so that this could not happen again.

Please advise

Stuart Ablett
Tokyo Japan
Within 24 hours I got this response from Woodcraft....

Stuart,

I am sending a replacement order out to you today via FedEx Economy Service. This should take about 3-4 business days. This order is of no charge to you. I have spoke with my Returns Dept regarding the return of the damaged item. Due to high cost of shipping and we are not able to send this item back to Freud, we would be forced to sell this at our local Store under Closeout at a greatly reduced price. So it is not worth you sending this back. Please just dispose of it.

Thanks,
Karen
Woodcraft Customer Service
1-800/535-4482 ext 2504

I am satisfied with their response, and the speed of their response impressed me too. I have had very few problems with Woodcraft in the past, and each time when brought to their attention, my concerns were dealt with swiftly and fairly. I will certainly keep Woodcraft on my list of companies that I choose to do business with, and I just wanted to share this "Good" customer service report with you all.

Cheers!

It looks to me like the glue holding the plastic inserts let go, I think that this is partly a fault of the way Freud packages the items, but also the fact that your shipper laid the boxed on their backs, and did not stand them upright.

Just wondering if it would make any difference to the way the cutter boxes were oriented in the packaging. Seems like there would be an awful lot of opportunity for a package to get tossed around, inverted, and/or impacted being shipped that far. Heck, I'd imagine they could break loose just being shipped to the next city :huh:

Good to hear about the great CS though! :thumb:

Good news Stu this is the time when it counts so they stood up, looks like Freud could learn a lesson here. Their packaging is made more for show case presentation that mail order shipping. Now you look at the way a lee valley cutter comes to you and its been dipped in that thick plastic varnish stuff to protect not only the cutter from damage but your hands too when you remove it from the packaging.