Rockler HVLP Sprayer

I have the HF version. It pushes things the consistency of water well. I do not know how it would do with paint. It is an inexpensive single turbine device. I know we have other owners here. I hope they will chime in on the use of thicker materials.

The next job I had in mind would be oil-based semi-gloss paint. Will that work if it is thinned? Any special thinner besides mineral spirits? As you can tell, I have no experience with this stuff. All of my wood projects to date have been done with wipe-on finishes. Thanks for the help.

Tony

Tony,

I don't have that sprayer, but the instruction manual provides the information about thinning as well as the use of the viscosity cup.

I have the Harbor Freight version of the same system. I've sprayed a lot of unthinned water-based poly like PolyCrylic with mine. It's definitely thicker than water, but don't know how it compares to the paint you have in mind. I would think you could spray paint as long as you thin it to the viscosity the instr8uctions recommend.

I shoot latex with my HVLP all the time, Use flotrol and dilute it. a lot.

What kind of sprayer have you got, Don? Is it a turbine system like the Rockler unit or an HVLP gun attached to a compressor?